Chapter Fifty-Six

Gracelynn's wedding was a week later. It was to be held at her estate, about a forty minute drive from the Answell mansion. Laura and Charles thankfully left first–but not before she could give me an outfit.

        Shockingly, I found no fault with it. It was a slender orange dress, with one strap over the shoulder and a matching clutch. Orange wasn't really my color, but it didn't look bad on me and I wasn't about to cause another fuss. I headed downstairs, where I knew Grayson was waiting with the car.

        As soon as he saw me, his lips flattened into a thin line. I tried not to let on how much my feelings were hurt; normally he lit up when he saw me dressed up. He still smiled and told me I looked pretty, but it was strained.

        "Just tell me if I'm hideous," I groaned.

        "No, you're not, you could never be hideous," he said quickly. "I just...my mother is a little aggravating."

        Alarm bells rang in my head. "Why, what is it?"

        "Orange is the color of fertility," he explained grimly.

        Oh, heck no.

        "Be right back," I said, flying up the staircase.

        "Jackie, we're already late!" he called, but there was no way, not even if you bribed me with the Answell fortune, that I was wearing this dress for another minute.

        Unfortunately, I was running low on clothes that were appropriate for a billionaire's wedding. Everything was either too cheap, too casual, or too upstaging. Finally I dug out a sage green dress with thin straps from the back of the closet. Shoes were thankfully available.

        "Grayson, zip me," I ordered as I ran back downstairs. He did so, then followed me into the garage. I slammed into the passenger seat and off we went, going just a wee bit fast.

        "She's going to flip," he said breathlessly.

        "Good."

        When he pulled into the driveway, my jaw dropped. If I'd thought the Answells were rich, they were mere peasants in comparison to the Girards. The mansion was twice the size, overlooking a lake. Not a pond, a full size lake. Off towards the hedges, I could see an adorable cottage that was actually bigger than my own house but appeared small and cozy. In short, the property was intimidating.

        "Clearly I married into the wrong family," I joked.

        Grayson snorted. "Yeah, they're loaded. Not to mention they own, like, half the city."

        "Are we the first ones here?" I asked, looking around for the other cars.

        "Underground parking garage," was all he said.

        My eyes went wide. Here I thought I was living the life of luxury.

        "Okay, let's head in," he said, parking in front of the entrance. The valet took away our car (goodbye, car) and we slowly walked inside, since it wasn't ladylike to rush even when you are late.

        We were guided to the ballroom, a towering cathedral of a room that was done completely in black marble. One might've thought it was dark and depressing for a wedding, but it actually was quite elegant with the sweeping white theme. 

        Our seats (we had assigned seats) were somewhat near the front, two rows ahead of Laura and Charles and right next to Clay and Kylie. As I walked past her, I saw Laura's face go ghostly pale. She murmured something to Charles, who frowned, puzzled. I smiled to myself, glad to at least gain one victory over her.