Chapter Sixty-Nine

The next morning, we all safely made it to Mr. Answell's retirement party. I had been expecting possibly the most boring event of my short life. I was proven wrong. There was a scattering of different ages amongst the guests, instead of the typical sixty-year-old crowd I'd been expecting. There was loud music, lots of talking, good snacks. For the most part, it was spectacular.

        "Your dad knows how to throw a bash," I remarked to Grayson after we'd said our jubilant greetings.

        "Yeah. I heard a rumor that later, he's going to drop from the ceiling for his speech, but I don't know if it's true," Grayson laughed.

        "That would be epic," I agreed. 

        His smile slowly faded. I followed his gaze, my throat tightening as I saw her. I'd known Laura would be here. I'd prepared all week. But now, actually standing within twenty feet of her, felt nearly impossible. Like I needed to explode or punch something.

        Worse news: she started walking over to us. Next to me, Grayson went rigid. I scanned the room for Clay and Kylie, but they were gone. Maybe they'd made their escape. 

        "Oh, darlings, you look wonderful," Laura cooed. Because looks always were the priority.

        I could tell Grayson was about to say something probably not very nice. I squeezed his hand, reminding him that we only had a matter of two days with her. He relaxed, the tension in his fingers melting.

        "Mother," he said with a forced smile.

        She kissed his cheek, which kind of made me want to throttle her. How dare she show affection after trying to ruin all of our lives! But I kept on smiling as she said, "I hope your Christmas was nice."

        "It was. Holidays are so much better when you spend them with just the people you care about," Grayson said brightly.

        Her right eye twitched. "Yes. Of course. Still, you two were missed."

        "How about my brother?" he said almost immediately.

        Laura quickly glanced over our shoulders, as if expecting Clay to pop up out of the blue. "Well, your father and I would've liked to see your brother as well–"

        "Except he was hiding from the paparazzi you sent him. A pity," Grayson said hardly.

        Time to stop some murders. "Well, we certainly won't keep you from your guests," I said hastily, hooking my arm in Grayson's.

        Laura loved my change in topic. "Enjoy the party, darlings," she said serenely, gliding away like the angel of death she was. 

        "Deep breaths," I murmured to Grayson, pulling him along.

        "Right," he said, his body stiff.

        "How about we have some cake?" I suggested, knowing Grayson could not and would not resist a good piece of cake. 

        He let me drag him away, although I wasn't sure how much he was actually paying attention. I took two cupcakes, putting them on adorable little plates, before sitting at a table with him. I think the sugar was effective in calming him down.

        "Grayson." I looked up to find Mr. Answell, looking down at us with his slightly amused smile. "I need to tell you something." 

        "Right," Grayson mumbled. He seemed much more tired than annoyed. He smiled at me before standing and following his father into the hallway.