Chapter Seventy

Hours.

        There were literal hours left until the wedding. No longer could I use the unit of days, unless I wanted to be preposterous and use fractions. But now it was the day before the wedding, and Grayson and I were forced to admit we'd run out of time before the big nightmare.

        Our rehearsal dinner was this evening, at the conservatory. Grayson and I arrived an hour early, wanting to take a walk before the storm. 

        "I'm scared to see what's in there," he said as we faced the huge doors.

        "Me too," I murmured anxiously, rubbing my forehead. "What if...what if she's done something awful?"

        "Like what?"

        "Something too horrible to imagine," I said darkly. 

        Grayson took a deep breath. "This is ridiculous. We're adults. We can handle seeing a room, a room that shall host our wedding, nonetheless."

        "Right," I said bravely, pushing open the door with my palm. He jumped half a beat, apparently not expecting me to actually take his pep talk to heart. 

        "Ohhhhhh," we both breathed, taken aback by the sheer beauty. Immediately, my fears were quelled. Of course our wedding would be beautiful.

        Rylie and Laura had outdone themselves. Crystals hung from the ceiling, light scattering across every surface and creating a magical garden of sparkles. Flowers exploded from every nook and cranny, the scent of fresh blossoms filling the entire room. My favorite part were the two fountains at the front, one on either side of the vibrant, floral archway. Both were marble and gurgled happily, a nice touch in the otherwise echoey room. The chairs were white, and while there were a lot more of them than I would have liked, they still looked nice. I drew in another breath as I noticed the aisle. A path of wooden stepping logs, floating in a small river. Water lilies sprang up from the surface at the end of each row, their petals pale pink.

        I covered my mouth, so overwhelmed that I sank down to my knees. Grayson immediately knelt next to me, whispering, "You okay, Jacks?"

        I nodded, tears in my eyes. "It's so beautiful."

        He smiled. "Yeah, it is beautiful. Do you like it?"

        "It's everything I ever dreamed," I sniffled, scrubbing my eyes.

        He wrapped his arms around me, giving me a huge hug. "I know your wedding isn't very real, so I figured you deserved to have it be as magical as possible. I hope you don't mind, I just wanted to surprise you with the decorations a bit."

        "No, I don't mind, you did an amazing job," I choked out, still taking in the sheer magnificence of the room.

        "I mean, Rylie did most of the work," Grayson admitted.

        I laughed. "I'll be sure to thank her, then. But it's the thought from you that counts."

        He hugged me a little tighter, murmuring, "You deserve a wedding this beautiful."

        "Thank you," I said, my face buried in the crook of his neck. "Thank you so much."

        Grayson placed a kiss in my hair and asked, "We were going to take a walk, right?"

        I nodded, standing up and scrubbing away my tears. I clung to his arm as we carefully skirted the edge of the room, not wanting to disturb anything. I didn't want to even breathe and risk having a petal fall to the floor, it was all so perfect.