Epilogue

One Year Later

From the waist down, everything hurt. Every joint, every muscle ached. I hadn't realized it while sleeping, but now that I was waking up, the pain flared violently. Shuddering, I blindly reached for the nightstand, knowing I kept Tylenol in the drawer for emergencies. This wasn't quite an emergency, as I probably could've predicted needing some painkillers, but I was too hurt to think that far.

It was still mostly dark out. The curtains revealed a hint of pale gray, meaning sunrise was close, but other than that, it was still night. Groggy, I downed the Tylenol with a sip of water and checked the time. Not even six. Much too early. Exhausted, I collapsed back into my pillow.

Except the movement was too much. Partially beneath me, Grayson stirred, inhaling deeply. I froze, trying to lie down slowly without causing more movement. He was still asleep, one arm wrapped tightly around my waist and his head flopped to the side. I couldn't help but smile; he was adorable with his hair rumpled and his mouth slightly open.

Even though I stayed still, he woke up a moment later. He blinked away the last bits of sleep and smiled when he saw me. I giggled as he tightened his embrace around me, dragging me down into a hug.

"Morning, Jacks," he said, his voice rough.

I kissed his cheek. "Morning. It's still early if you want to go back to bed."

"That's okay," he murmured, "I like being up with you."

"Okay," I said, dropping my head onto his chest.

Beneath the sheets, he slowly rubbed my back, which did feel nice. "You okay?" he asked softly. "Not sore?"

I blushed. "A little," I mumbled.

"I'm sorry, Jacks, did you take something?" he asked, concerned in his gaze.

"Yeah, I took some Tylenol. And don't apologize," I said, looking up at him.

"I mean, I know last night was our anniversary, but that doesn't mean it should be to the point of you feeling this miserable," he said guiltily.

I pressed my index finger to his lips. "Who said I'm miserable? So what if I'm a bit sore, I get to spend the morning with you."

"That is a pretty great gift from me, to get my morning," he admitted.

"On second thought," I said, grabbing my pillow. He yelped and grabbed it midair, both of us laughing.

"Joking, love," Grayson said, grinning as he put down the pillow for me.

I laid down again, closing my eyes as he stroked my hair. "We still have leftover cake, right?"

"I think so. There were at least a few pieces last I checked," he replied.

I yawned. "Maybe that'll be our breakfast."

"Yeah. We should have anniversaries more often," he said. "Cake for breakfast all the time."

I snorted. "We could technically have three, if you'd like. July, December, and April."

Grayson laughed and kissed the top of my head. "I think we'll stick to our real one."

"I love our real one," I sighed, smiling.

He lifted my chin, pressing his forehead to mine. A couple butterflies took flight in my stomach, making me blush.

"You're so cute, Jacks," he said, tracing his fingertips over my cheek.

"And you're adorable," I replied, mussing his brown hair with one hand.