第25章

Yule Ball

It was 4:30 on friday aftenoon and Hitomi was getting ready for the dance. She wore the dress, that she bought yesterday with Mina and looked at herself in the mirror. Not bad, she thought.

 The doorknop twisted and her mother stepped inside her room. "Oh! You look beautiful, sweetie." She praised enthustiastically and spinned Hitomi around to observe the dress more closely. "My beautiful daughter. I'll do your hair." 

Hitomi sat on her bed while her mom began to do her hair. She knew her mom wasn't an expert at doing hairdos, but she could do something after all. 

Emiko promised to take her to the party, but she won't be there to pick up Hitomi, bacuase she has a night shift with Reina today. They have a lot of same shifts and maybe that's why they've become so close recently. Because of that, Hitomi has planned to take a change of clothes with her, so she doesn't have to walk back home in a dress.

 About ten minutes later her hair was ready and Hitomi immediately rose up from her bed and went to see it. It was a thick and beautiful braid which had flowers in the middle, that her mother added.

-

"Oh, I forgot my jacket for the walk back home." Hitomi remarked while sitting on her mother's car. She felt stupid, how could she remember to take her regular shoes and everything else, but not even a jacket with her. For the dance she borrowed her mom's heels, since she didn't buy her own. Those were black and the heel wasn't too thin nor too high, it was medium size and easy to walk on. 

"Do we need to turn back?" Her mother queried.

"No, don't bother. I'm sure Mina or Yuma have something to borrow." Hitomi ensured.

"Well, did you remember to take your sneakers so you don't have to walk home in heels?" 

"Yes. But that wouldn't have been a big problem. I have spare ones in my locker and I'm probably not even gonna dance a lot."

"What do you mean?" Emiko inquired in confusion while facing the road.

"I don't have a partner like Mina and Yuma does, and it would be embarassing to dance alone." Hitomi said miserably.

"That's no fun. What about Riki? Is he even coming today?" 

"Mom, we aren't even that close. And besides, he definitely has a parter." Hitomi noted. She thought about Sana. Niki is going with her, isn't he? But Hitomi didn't actually care. She will have fun there and no one can ruin it. Not even Niki and that lunatic girl he's with.

-

The school corridors were decorated with Chrismas decorations and it immediately brought a Christmas spirit there. Hitomi quickly went to her locker and left her spare shoes and change of clothes there. She headed to the gym where the party was held and could already hear some music from there. 

The huge gym was full of  artificial trees and colorful Christmas lights. Actually, it didn't look like a gym at all anymore. In the middle there was a large open space for dancing and on the edges of the hall there were tables, chairs and couches. 

Hitomi walked to the other side of the hall. There were all different kinds of servings like, cookies, pastries, cakes and beverages. She wasn't hungry or thristy at the moment, so she walked past the tables. Everyone looked so good today. All the boys looked handsome on their suits and girls so pretty with different and unique dresses. 

After wandering around for a while Hitomi saw Yuma and Hikaru chatting something and decided to join as well. 

"There you are, Hitomi! Isn't Mina here yet?" Yuma asked when he noticed the girl approaching them.

"No, she hasn't arrived yet. And I don't think we've told you, but she has a parter, so she's probably coming with him." Hitomi said.

"Parter? Why didn't she tell me? Well, it's not a big deal. Me and Hikaru are going to dance," Yuma glanced at Hikaru with a smile then looked back at Hitomi. "-you may join if you want."

Hitomi would've felt like a third feel, so in her head she denied immediately, but she pretended to thought for a while and then answered while smiling, "No, actually, I'll just stay here. You gyus just go dancing." 

"You sure?"

Hitomi nodded her head and sat down on a couch when Yuma left with Hikaru to the dance floor. Why did she even come here? She has nothing to do here. Out of boredness she still grapped some drinks and started drinking them while watching the others dance. Hitomi's eyes were so attached to the students dancing, so she didn't see Mina approaching her soon. 

"Hi, Hitomi." Mina greeted and stopped in front of the table with a boy, which she knew from before. He was tall, about the same height as Niki. His hair was dark brown, that was styled nicely in a middle parting. He looked handsome today as well. Mina had the lilac dress, that she bought yestereday and her hair was open, but curled up with a curling iron. 

"Hello. Why aren't you dancing? You have such a pretty dress too." Haruto praised. Hitomi haven't never really talked to him, but he always seemed nice and more quiet than Niki or any of his friends.

"Mm. I don't know. Like with whom?" Hitomi replied gloomily.

A faster tempo music started playing which didn't really fit with the couple dance and people started to dance like crazy, even alone. 

"Let's go to dance." Mina suggested and grapped Hitomi's hand, when she was still sitting and she had no other choice than to follow her. They did all freestyles while the music was playing. Haruto danced with the girls and spinned them alternately. Hitomi didn't feel like a third wheel now. Haruto really seemed like a polite and decent gyu. 

They joined with Yuma and Hikaru when they needed a break from dancing. The conversations progressed really well. Yuma had a lot to chat with Haruto, since he hasn't never met him. And Hikaru was really talkative with Mina and Hitomi too. To cool off, Yuma and Haruto grapped them all some drinks. 

They waited for the song to change to start a new dance. The next one was a slow one and the couples with Hitomi were lost to dance. Mina asked if it was alright that they'd leave her alone for a moment and she agreed happily.

Thanks so much for 1k reads! -Author