第44章

Bitter Secrets

Hitomi wore her winter jacket on and was about to go home. She was still waiting for Mina, so that they could leave the school building together. Their paths diverge already at the school gate, but even the short walk is remarkable. 

A short while after they parted ways at the gate, someone else came after Hitomi. "Hitomi!" Niki called and ran a short distance to catch her up. "Let's walk together." He suggested calmly, when he made it next to her.

"Okay." Hitomi replied. She had been alone with Niki a lot and it didn't bother her at all anymore. Even though they even kissed yesterday, she didn't feel awkward about it. Somehow, it just felt so relaxed and comfortable with him. 

​They walked in comfortable silence for a while and watched as the snow kept falling from the trees. It was maybe -10 degrees, but it didn't feel that cold. 

"Hitomi." Niki said after a while and grapped her arm lightly, to stop their pace. 

"Yeah?" Hitomi replied, waiting for him to continue. He took a little break and looked quite hesitant. 

"I want to take you out. With me. Just the two of us. Would you come?" He asked after gathering up his courage. Hitomi seemed to progress his request for a while. "I'm asking you on a date." Niki added to clarify his point. "You don't have to. Of course, I won't force you, if it doesn't feel-" He continued, but Hitomi cut him off. 

"Sure." She replied. Niki looked surprised of her quick decision. He didn't actually think she'd accept it. 

"Really? Well, when? Would Saturday be fine?" He asked in excitement.

​"Yeah, it's good." Hitomi agreed and now continued walking. "What should we do then?" 

"I don't know. What do you want to do or go? I'm willing to do anything." Niki replied.

"Well, we can still think about that tomorrow." Hitomi noted and glanced at him, while smiling. She doesn't usually tend to look him in the eyes when they're talking while being close enough, because it would just hurt her neck. So would his probably.

~

It was Friday, the last day of school before weekend. Usually Hitomi's weekend are just chilling or resting, but tomorrow, she has a date with Niki. She often thinks about the word 'date'. Just months ago she could have thrown herself off the fourth floor, if she had to pair up with Niki in a school project or wherever.

But everything has changed. In particular, he has changed. Hitomi still vividly remembers how she countered Niki in their classroom for the first time and he threatened to snap her neck. And it didn't even seem like he was joking.

Hitomi were writing math notes on the board, because the teacher said to do so, but she didn't really need them for anything. She flinched slightly when she felt something hit the back of her head. She turned slowly and disapprovingly in Niki's direction, when it seemed to be coming from there. 

Hitomi knew that he hadn't written anything to his notebook yet, but how dare he throw paper balls at her. He started to motion something with his hands and Hitomi somehow understood it. He first pointed at the paper ball below her and then motioned opening.

She reached to pick up the paper from the floor and unfolded it.

I'll pick you up tomorrow at 5PM :)

Wear something that feels comfortable and message me if something gets in the way

P.S. you look pretty atm