Chapter 7: The First Night

The prince married the princess thrice.

****

Aryamna never ceased worrying, and events which had the chance of making him more restless never stopped occuring. The stupid kings went on babbling about their own wives and the spice of marriage, never understanding that the time was running.

The night had deepened when he finally reached his cottage.The kings left the Senapati and journeyed for their own kingdoms. There, the women greeted Aryamna.

The oldest lady of the village, who had gifted Ishvara that red veil, said, "You are late."

Wicked memories came back. The ghosts of past nibbled at his peace. Looking over her shoulder, he said, "The kings took time talking to me. I am sorry."

She shook her head. "Bad manners. You need to be even more careful now. You are a married man. Discipline is an important part_"

"Ugh!" A lady scoffed. "Maa, leave the man. Look how he's trying to peer into the room beyond! Here," she turned to the Senapati, "adorn your wife with these. It's a ritual. Tomorrow morning when we come and see her, she must be wearing the flowers, alright?"

"We will ask her if you did it or not," another chimed in.

Aryamna looked confused. "You all are going to stay here? My cottage is too small. Should I make arrangements-"

"Raksa has made for us tents and tasty treats. Now go, she must be waiting for you. We won't disturb." The women waved Aryamna goodbye and he closed the door of his cottage.

The window of his bedroom was curtained but the glimmering light of ten lamps lighted up the interiors. The door was kept ajar.

His heartbeats increased. Blinking rapidly, he shook his head and bent his neck to the sides, trying to relax himself. "It can't go wrong. It can't."
He couldn't mess up.

"She's different now."

It hurt him.

Yet, he had hoped against hope, secretly wishing for her return beneath an armour of heartless service. And now when she did, he would accept, however hard may be the cost.

Slowly, he approached the door. He wondered how tense she would be. Ironically, she would see this as her first time.

"I have to be careful. I can't trigger her. I will be sweet and soft."

Not that 'nasty little thing' Rudra called me. If I could control my desires all these years, I can stop myself from claiming her body tonight.

He opened the door. He didn't have the instant courage to look at her, so he just acted like the door took a whole lot of time to get locked. Hah, he would call it extra precaution on a wedding night. A good excuse it would be since people like Raksa could gladly be nosy about how a celibate's first night would go.

Not that I am planning to do anything. I cannot make love to her knowing she doesn't even remember me.

He was sure he was failing and his heart broke upon seeing her sitting quietly with the veil on, arms hugging the legs closer.

Maybe she was feeling cold.

A butterfly fluttered inside his stomach.

I can embrace her and give her all the heat. I can... But, I cannot.

Aryamna went and sat at the edge of the bed, keeping the basket of flowers beside. He was frustrated. There was no way he could be free like the olden times, but still would have to do this lifting the veil and other unnecessary drama.