Chapter 54: Chhalkapat

The sun will not rise.

****

At the dawning of the world, the two greatest armies of the century faced each other in the battlefield. One was swamped by blue and black, and the other basked in the golden rays of the sun. Two sides of the same coin.

Hamal was riding an elephant. The animal was decorated like a semi-divine being itself, motifs drawn on its greyish skin in white. The curvy long tusks were sharpened. Rumours went around that this beast was more bloodthirsty than its Master, piercing the bodies of even loyal soldiers. Its eyes were red like Hamal's furry cloak. Even in battle had the Rajan not forgotten to embellish himself in gold, down to the hardy armour. A grand mount and a grander warrior-king. He was a god, after all, and he intended to give the message.

In charge of Rajan Rudra's chariot was Indumala. Her lover of royal ichor had made the costliest armour possible. It wasn't of gold and silver, but amalgamation of metals that could never be corroded. A helmet adorned with the feathers of a vulture protected her skull.

She held the reins like her life depended on it. No way would she let lose of control. For hours everyday she had trained for this, not caring about blisters and bleeding. The heart knew only one goal– to be a bodyguard of Rudra. She was a rather useless one, perhaps, but even a pawn like her would help in securing a victory.

In front of her was a vast army of wicked. Her heart thudded, loud enough for her ears to count each beat.

She gulped. "What are we waiting for?" She swore she wanted this all to end. It was her first time being in a war. It was a respect, a reward indeed. But she didn't want to lie to herself– she was afraid.

"Aryamna shall blow the conch together with Madrik. Then, we will head on."

Rudra and Dilrobar had told her about Madrik earlier. He was the one who had destroyed the face of beautiful Dilrobar.

"My first target will be Madrik. I will kill him and then move to Hamal," Rudra said. "You will make sure that our chariot somehow catches up to his."

Indumala nodded. The helmet made it a difficult for her to breath. The sweat burnt her eyes. She took a deep breath.

Rudra sensed her fears. Kneeling down, he kept a hand on her shoulder. "You are amazing, Indu. You are brave. You are powerful. Whenever in doubt, chant the affirmation."

"I just want this to be over."

"It will be." Rudra loosened her helmet and placed a kiss on her forehead. "Promise you won't be afraid of me."

Rudra was going to be fight in his werewolf powers. That meant, he was going to be a monster. It was logical– only poison could kill poison. Her Baba would be unable to use his powers in daylight, unlike Rudra.

"I am not scared of you, no," Indumala whispered. "Even if the world calls you ugly, you are the handsomest to me."

"If this monster has to lose to anyone, it will be you. Neither Mataraj nor your Baba. But you." Rudra fitted the helmet back. "At the end of the war, we will embrace. Our victory celebration."

Indumala smiled. "Got it."

Rudra stood up and puffed up his chest. Aryamna received the sign, and the two rival Senapati blew the conch shells.

Madness wreaked havoc, rage unleashed.

Onyx scraps crawled and conquered half of Rudra's face, the sclera of his left eye morphed into a deadly black. Tendrils of hair flew out like snakes. Indumala thought those were merely floating in the wind, but on closer look saw them to be real serpents. Their tongues flickered and hissed. Rudra's body was lined with fur and his nails grew into menacing claws.