Chapter 14: Mataraj Pushyaar

A woman born of a man, a warrior from the land of Yavana
Bow down to Pushyaar, the mother of Rajan Rudra.

****

The whole night Rudra paced up and down his room, biting his nails and calculating imaginary risks. Indumala didn't sleep too and accompanied him all night, trying to ease his nerves.

"If somehow some enemy comes and kidnaps her from the–"

"There are some hundred and fifty soldiers in the docks."

"Oh yes." Rudra sighed. "She should be safe."

Indumala smiled. "You worry a lot about her. Shows your deep bond."

"Like you and Aryamna?"

"Yes!"

She often wondered how many sides this Rajan had. Sometimes he would curse her and be rude. And sometimes there wouldn't be anyone as sweet as him.

"You know, Mataraj is a mage. Though she rarely uses her skills."

Indumala gaped. "What? Oh my! Did she also train in my guild?"

"I am not sure. She never shared. You will know for sure she is powerful when you look at her eyes."

"Eyes?"

"They are special. Even more intimidating than mine."

"Are you a mage?"

Rudra raised a brow at her. He leaned back on the wall, crossing his arms and biting his lower lip. "What do you think?"

"From the way you are hinting, I guess you know magic too."

Rudra nodded. "Yes, and–"

"And won't possibly share to keep it as an interesting mystery?"

Rudra rubbed his temples. "Aha! Yes. You got it. It's a mystery." He clapped his hands awkwardly. "Eh, I am better off with a normal sword."

The pain burnt his heart, spreading like a wildfire. He was fortunate that she didn't wish to take insight into the matter of his magical skills. "I think it's time. We should go to the lion's gate."

They passed by the servants and guards, a comfortable understanding of silence settled between the two. But the young maiden couldn't keep quiet for a long time. "You have a very fluctuating mood."

Rudra almost tripped. The servants left their work at hand and gathered to help. Luckily, Indumala had held him by the elbow in time. "Easy, easy," she said under her breath, then gestured the servants to leave. He is alright, she mouthed. Just a little clumsy.

Rudra rolled his eyes. "You will get used to all my tantrums, tricks and whatever in time."

"I wonder how Dilrobar tolerates you. She should get sick of being with such a man."

Rudra was immediately attracted to this change of topic. It was, in his perspective, thoroughly interesting, like a splash of rainbow over a garden of drooping sunflowers. His days were after all very boring and colourless, passed in venting out his spleen and antipathy towards the concept of love.

But, this sparked his curiosity. What did Indumala think of them? Ah, of course what most would label him and Dilrobar as; it was very much intentional, but Indumala presented a very bold observation.

"You think I am not a good companion?" he asked, a playful smirk on his lips which Indumala missed.

"You are so violent sometimes. It's not what a woman would appreciate romantically, unless she is crazy herself. Or is here for your money and status."