Chapter 49: Bathhouse

Separation increases the thirst.

****

When Rudra and Indumala returned to Ishgar from Revat, they had already grown into something deeper, more than a Rajan and his bodyguard. Although the journey had begun way before (truthfully, lifetimes) one could see the stark visible changes only at present. Now, they didn't shy away from rubbing against each other and holding hands, exuding a carefree and nonchalant attitude in love even in front of the ministers.

Rumours of their intensifying bond spread like forest fire. Indumala was often put on a pedestal and questioned. The curious seekers paid no heed to the discomfort faced by Indumala, buckling on her knees and tripping on her words. They poked her with every flagrant inquiry into the intimacy she shared with the Rajan, the extent of their loyalties– well, to express more explicitly, if the Rajan was still involved with Dilrobar or had he removed his mistress to accomodate Indumala? Perhaps it was the other way round– Indumala was the mistress, using this chance to elevate her status and solidify her position as a bodyguard. And how much had she compromised to cater to the ravenous needs of the Rajan? He was supposed to be a very possesive and violent lover.

Indumala sat in the Hall of Intellect along with a few women, waiting for Rudra to arrive. She found it hard to control her temper, but she didn't give in to the anger any moment. She knew it was a delicate matter. To be the beloved of the Rajan, of course, would mean painting her reputation with some black spots. People liked to indulge themselves in the spicy talk of the royals. She herself had done a bit of the same when she paired Dilrobar and Rudra. Indumala pitied not only the people around her whose only entertainment were prurient discussions of Rudra's life, but also her own past self.

Finally, Rudra graced the hall, followed by Dilrobar behind him. Upon seeing Indumala, he smiled and twirled a lock of her hair. She craned her head to feel better his touch. But the alert eyes around, watching them like vultures, made her wriggle her fingers. The women of the palace had considered Dilrobar as the bed mate of the Rajan, and for her to be shoved away now, seemed unthoughtful. Indumala knew many would thus see her as a home-wrecker, even though Dilrobar had never created a home with the Rajan.

"I heard from Dilrobar that you have seen her face," Rudra said. "But you don't know who did it."

"No, I don't."

Rudra pulled Indumala to sit beside him. "Do you remember Madrik?"

She squinted. "Yes, I saw him in Revat. The commander-in-chief of Hamal's army."

"That is the man, Indu. That is the man who ruined Dilrobar."

Rudra's voice was deliberately loud. Indumala was puzzled why he wasn't hesitating to make it known to the other women in the hall. Maybe because everyone deserved to know the truth. Maybe because it was time.

"It is for him that she has vowed to use the veil. And in the ensuing war with Hamal, I will kill Madrik, bring her head to Dilrobar. In his blood she shall bathe and then leave her veil, forever."

"It is not just for me that this war should be won," Dilrobar added. "I am just an ally, someone who escaped the odious land of Revat and came here to survive. In return for shelter, I help, I give information. I had known Revat for years, longer than Hamal himself."

It makes sense, Indumala thought. It was a whole lot of depth to take in. But the element of fire had already haunted and mesmerised Indumala. It made her stomach twist to even imagine the flames licking her skin, turning it to soot and ashes. Dilrobar had felt it first hand.

"If the war has to be won, I am not the primary reason. The scar that I carry on my face is a testament of what happens to wrongdoers. If Madrik dies, it will be the gift to my redemption. But if Revat is to be conquered, then I will call you the reason, Indumala. It is for you that Revat should be freed from Hamal."