Chapter 36: Boating

Close to the king, close to the man
She has seen both the warrior monarch,
And the lover at night.

****

Staring at the sunshine falling on her healing palms, Indumala sat near a window that overlooked a part of the royal garden. Thick green foliage swayed gently and colourful butterflies frolicked around. It had been some days since she wasn't working. The Rajan had dismissed her from duties.

These days he came to her often, finding time between his own responsibilities. Like a man who didn't forget to count his rosary beads and pray, Rudra made sure to wish her a good night every time. She even found him threatening the doctor: If her wounds get worse instead of healing, I am going to burn you- well, those were his words. Indumala knew it wasn't appropriate behaviour. Her wounds would heal also; it wasn't as if it was something impossible.

She had always been afraid of fire. As a kid, she would not play with firecrackers at all. Though when a grown-up, she got the courage to enjoy some.

"And that same Indumala didn't care to save the Rajan from a fire."

It soothed her to see the Rajan was so worried for her. Their bond wasn't something build on sparks and sudden friendships, but constituted a gradual transition from dislike to... That's where Indumala got stuck.

"Where is this going?"

She was a brave woman, but she never dreamt of jumping into the fire for someone else. It was so scary.

But she did it.

And dodging the usual, inviting warm hug, the Rajan had placed a kiss on her wounded hand. It was unexpected. No, a Rajan he was, and he very well understood the consequences of such an action. He was the most powerful ruler of the world, and for him to show such a gesture towards a woman could only be treated as something passionate if not completely scandalous. The Rajan was prone to anger and tantrums, but not expressions of affection. Not one human ever told her about his softer side.

"Seems like, I am the only one who witnessed it."

Does that make me special?

Tickling sensations piled up inside her chest. They could burst any moment and uncage themselves into a million butterflies, joining the ones flying in the garden. But then Indumala prided herself over her immense control. Had she never felt some man was handsome or a potential match? Maybe yes. But if they ever tried to cross a line, Indumala showed them their place. Her heart was no plaything.

Yet, when Rudra showered his affections, Indumala willingly accepted.

She knew it wasn't because he was a Rajan. Yes, being powerful and rich was attractive, but it wasn't that which made her smile and think about him. What melted her were his sudden embraces, his tears, his inability to be wicked however hard he tried, and his pain. She wanted to understand him like his own part.

Indumala heaved a sigh. No denying that she was feeling different about him.

She looked out the window and like the mischievous planning of fate, saw the Rajan and his retinue standing. They were talking amongst themselves. He looked happy. Indumala didn't want to feel too high about herself, but intuition told it was his practice to keep this brighter side obscure, and only upon her arrival did he unravel the layers.

Little did she know that he would look up at her window. It made her stunned and red. What if he read her mind and understood that he was the reason behind the endearment blossoming under the pink shades of her cheeks? What if he pushed her away, at the end?