Chapter 38: Fatal

It is easy to imagine pain but not to go through it.

****

Indumala's hands had healed, and she had returned to performing her duties. From early morning till dusk she accompanied the Rajan in his court, diplomatic meetings and regular round of the army grounds. When evening fell and the moon shone above, the two retired to Indumala's room.

Well, that was where Rudra loved to spend his time lately. Sometimes even just sitting there by himself while Indumala did her own work. It had become his room too– some days he even had his dinner here, when Indumala didn't want to eat in the hall. He left only when it was his time to sleep.

Indumala found him stealing glances of her often. He would feign to be engrossed in a book or start murmuring to the walls when she would catch him. Then, it would be her turn to move her head towards the curtains, biting on her lips to stop a wild grin from exposing his inability to be more cautious. To be honest, what was even going on inside his mind? Indumala didn't know. Maybe if she did, her heart would screech.

How in the world did he suddenly find me so interesting? Of course, she knew these symptoms. She wasn't so foolish a fool. Maybe she was a fool, that it took her so much time to conclude that something was fishy. Sniff sniff, it smells like a small infatuation. Sniff sniff, this is getting more intense. Aha, it is the fragrance of love!

Didn't he abhor me once? Maybe not hatred, but a strong dislike definitely. Even I couldn't stand him. And look, now it's him clinging to me even after my day's tasks are done.

"Recently, two rescues were brought to the palace. How are they?" she asked, trying to strike up a conversation. Sometimes it made her too flustered to know that someone was biting their nails while staring at her intently. It would always be better to just talk.

"They are fine. They have been given chores to do. One brews wine and the other is taking lessons in dancing."

"Brews wine? That's interesting!" Stop looking at my neck. I am sweating. "That's a rare talent."

Rudra licked his lower lip. She is trying to act normal. "We can do wine tasting one day. There's a whole lot of variety in the palace. I have access to the most exquisite ones."

"We can..." Indumala clutched the bedsheets. He was sitting on a chair and his eyes observed the action. "The palace has things that the common folk of Ishgar can't have."

Like the Rajan. "Yes, but now you can have those as you live here now."

"My guild too had a lot of intoxicants."

"I wish to visit it one day."

"Really?"

"Yes." He loosened his collar. "I know Rajans usually don't do that, but then I am a crazy one who doesn't follow the crowd. I think I would like to break this norm."

"Master Makba was very happy when you invited over my mates during the celebration. He will be delighted to host you at his home!"

Rudra scratched his neck. He couldn't still understand what was in her mind. He was a Rajan, and it could be possible that she didn't want to anger him by telling him to not come to her room everyday. In a way, he was invading her private time. He was doing something wrong, but then, after so many years, he found had someone. As desperate as it sounded, he wanted to watch her every moment.

"Do you not feel uncomfortable?"

"About what, Rudra?"

My name from her lips, a symphony of the night. "That I am in your room."