Chapter 53(Part-I): Godhood

Hear, gods born amongst mortals, do not forget the womb that carried you.

****

Most of the sand had collected at the base of the clock. It was a sign of the war closing in. Time was racing fast in the corners, slowing down in the centre gradually.

The centre where stood Hamal.

The myriad thoughts of his mind were put at a pause by the thudding footsteps of Aishan. "My Lord." The young man bowed.

"It pains me that this war is a fight for my title and my rights."

Aishan blew a breath. "I believe in you, my Rajan. You will always be the god that you are."

Hamal pulled the curtains, plunging his room in obsidian darkness. Aishan lighted a few lamps. The walls, now illuminated, narrated the story of the magical birth of Hamal.

"It doesn't worry me that people will refuse to accept me as god. I know what I am and in it I am confident. It is not validation that I seek."

"You may torture those two girls. We have kept them in a room for now, but Madrik was saying if we can switch them to the dungeons."

"I have promises to keep, Aishan."

The favourite was perplexed. "You mean?" He furrowed his brows.

Hamal slid his finger through the flickering flame of a candle, each time staying in the heat a little longer. "I was brought back in this world only because a man named Khonsu invoked me. He had desires, rather demands to be met, and in return I had a few of mine. He helped me quench my thirst, so I must honour the word I gave him."

"Khonsu is dead and also his lover, that Queen of Gandhar. Neither is the Red Priestess alive, nor her illustrious son."

Hamal wrung his hands, eyes meditating on the lone flame. The golden rays of the fire painted a streak in his unfathomable eyes. "You know what makes me different from mortals like Madrik?"

"Your powers?"

"Anyone can be powerful, if they are clever enough to tap into it. Look at my wife– she isn't divine born like me, but she is someone I need to be careful with." Hamal narrowed his eyes. "You need to keep your promises, Aishan. Promises, if not kept, can dwindle the lustre of godhood. I know I have every capability to crush that guild of Makba, to put an end to those pretty girls. But will it benefit me in any way? It won't, Aishan."

"But when the man to whom you had made the promise is no more, why care to be so respectful?"

"I told you, Aishan. I can kill them, assault them, treat them like all the other girls I own. But I will not, Aishan. It will question my godhood. My bond with Khonsu is eternal. His mortal body may have become ashes, but his soul lives."

Aishan ruffled his hair. "Do promises hold so much of significance?"

"We are all bound by it, through lives and eons. If I take one wrong step, it will cost me."

"I do not believe you can do anything wrong."

"Indeed." Hamal grinned. "There is a world beyond this where exists no good and no evil. From there I have arrived, and there shall we all go, when the cosmos dives back in a slumber."

"I do not understand what you say..." Aishan fidgeted with his robes. "This whole concept of good and evil seem unnecessary to me. It is a mere perspective."

"Which is exactly the truth, Aishan. There will come a time when people will admire men like me. Values that I adore will be worshipped."

"So, you are not going to put those girls through the unthinkable?"