Chapter 52: Charioteer

Fate bends us in the most unimaginable ways.

****

"Pretty girls like you need to have some attitude."

That was what the women of the palace advised Indumala.

"I don't think it will make things better." She smiled. "Your Rajan is known for his temper."

"Only girls have the right to throw tantrums way after childhood culminates. God has given us enough beauty to simmer and steam manly hearts until they give in to our bitterness, and thus accept our demands."

They dressed her up in a dhoti and a blouse. The Rajan had sent exclusive jewels for her to try on, but the women thought those were too tasteless and cheap for a future queen. "Demand better," they told Indu.

Poor girl had never seen so much luxury before. Perhaps these were costlier than her rare Brahmakamal perfume. How could these ladies say he wasn't pampering her? He was, and she didn't want to be rude.

"I am happy with what he has sent me." She ran her hands over the embroidery on her blouse. It was sewn in threads of gold, woven into gossamer silk and studded with scintillating emeralds. The deep plunging neckline beautified her little bosom. The pendant of a sunflower, in the colour of copper, matched with the butterfly pin on her hair bun. "See, how beautiful!"

"You truly get happy with so less. Senapati's befitting daughter."

When the embellishment was over, they escorted her to the garden, where the Rajan was waiting. Her heart did multiple vaults. The excited voices inside her head screeched. Then and now she was tempted to look at her reflection or ask the girls if she was presentable. After all, she had to look good if she was to sit beside the Rajan.

Such thoughts didn't come before. Love had its own cruel ways of making people self-conscious. There was a sweetness to the humility it gave, and the belief that one's lover, despite everything, excelled everyone else. Indumala's heart saw Rudra in the same way, although her mind was wise enough to be aware of the imperfections.

The sun bathed the garden in hues of bright yellow. It was a kind tone, not too scorching to the skin and neither dull. Jasmines whispered to the breeze, branches swaying to the chirpy tune. The golden flamboyance of marigolds contrasted the very harmonious lotus ponds, frogs jumping on the leafy pads and rippling waves creating soothing patterns.

In nature's lap, the Rajan had hosted a grand swing. He was dressed in earthly brown, and could a man ever carry such a boring shade so well? His fair complexion was like snow to the mud-coloured attire. Not a single gemstone boasted his richness. Today, he chose simplicity.

"Seems like you were too busy and forgot to wear your jewellery."

Rudra took Indumala's hand and guided her to the swing. "You are here to do that."

Indumala swore his words were sweeter than the melody of the songbirds. She blushed and averted her gaze. Among the guests were also her parents. She beamed upon seeing them, particularly liking how they had their hands joined. Mother Ishvara was leaning against her Baba.

Yes, her family was almost complete. One day, she would marry Rudra, and the four of them would live happily ever after.

Tears came to her eyes. Time slowed down, the noise of laughter fading in the background. She stared at Rudra, studying the depth of his ebony eyes and the happiness in them. She missed it. She had missed this feeling all her life. The familiarity of this moment transcended memories. She heaved a sigh.