Chapter 27: One Curse Broken

See beyond the illusions, mighty soldier. Don't tear down the city that harbours your love.

****

Dilrobar pattered around and called Indumala's name frantically as she searched for the bodyguard in every corner of the palace. The servants eyed her with suspicion. They refused to tell her if they had seen the Rajan's comrade going somewhere. Dilrobar didn't yet know Indumala's room, and everyone just ignored her questions.

She was more unwanted than the Rajan. It wasn't even in her nature anymore to punish their audacity. She was too weak for that; she knew she deserved this treatment. It was a lifetime of thorny words and cold gestures.

Then, Dilrobar recalled. Indumala wasn't given a room in the Abode of Grace but a place close to the Rajan's own quarters. So, she went back, crossing the room of Rudra from where still sniffling noises came to her sharp ears, and then marched towards the opposite direction. Some of the rooms were locked from outside. She knocked on the rest, calling the name of Indumala. "She isn't here," a reply came from inside every single time.

Finally, Dilrobar stood in front of a room with the door left ajar. She knew it would be ill-mannered, but she tried to take a peek in, hoping to not catch the glimpse of something not meant for her to see. Dilrobar lifted up her veil a little, and there she was– Indumala, curled into a fetal position. Her body shook slightly. The spear lay on the floor. She was crying.

Dilrobar knocked on the door. Indumala sat up with a jerk, looking at the door. She glowered at Dilrobar. "Why are you here?" Her voice was broken but her spirit wasn't. Dilrobar stepped into the room and closed the door behind her. Indumala sprang up from the bed and stood with her hands on the hips. "You aren't welcome here."

"Indumala, just listen to me once–"

"I am not going to hear a lecture from you out of all the people in the world."

"We need to talk–"

"I won't."

"Indu," Dilrobar raised her voice by a miniscule, "now you are acting same as the Rajan. No difference lies between you two."

Indumala's rage quietened down. She panted and huffed, ruffling her thick hair. She went and sat on the bed, her back facing Dilrobar. The latter came and joined her. "I haven't ever felt the need to explain my situation to anyone. Not because I am haughty, but because I know they wouldn't understand and maybe if they do, they can try to endanger me more." She heaved a sigh. "I am not being a liar when I say this– the day I first saw you, I was filled with admiration. You are a woman who inspires. Such a young lady and still you command respect from the whole of Ishgar, and soon Aryavarta will know you too."

Indumala glanced at her. "Well, thank you." She didn't want to be judgemental. Maybe this veiled woman really liked her, even if she didn't reciprocate the same feelings. "But come to the point."

"You misunderstand me, Indumala. Like everyone in the palace does. I really can't help changing their minds and maybe I shouldn't do it now. But I must tell you what is the truth."

"What is the truth?"

Dilrobar fidgeted nervously. "I know how you all think of me. You see me as a whore–"

"I have come from a land of veshyas."

"Let me speak!" Dilrobar bit her lips and clutched the bedsheets. "Yo-you all see me as someone who sells her body to the Rajan out of will, not out of a compulsion like veshyas. You see me as someone who is a toy. And I can tell by your gaze that you agree to what I say."