Chapter 41: Little One and Pasha

There's a story behind every story, little one.

****

The Rajan was back to slaying and his usual hotheaded temper after a rest of two weeks.

The palace had been lifeless without his force. Now when his commanding voice and often obnoxious words spread themselves across the swathe of the palace, things were looking normal. It was probably how the servants and the ministers liked to work- under the wrathful gaze of the beastly Rajan.

After the unsuccessfull attempt by Hamal the Second to eliminate his greatest enemy Indrasya Rudra Arumugam, a meeting was organised by the Rajan. In here participated Aryamna and Indumala, as well as Dilrobar, for she was a must in all these gatherings, and a select few of the most trusted.

Towering above all was the looming figure of the Rajan. Bitter was the look his pursed lips, arrogance shining in the way his sharp irises examined each and every man, and woman, in the room. They stood around the circular table like a wake of vultures, peering into the map that held the centre of discussion.

With a slight nod of his head, Rudra hinted Aryamna to begin. The Senapati took out a needle and pinned it on Revat. "Our target. One by one, each shall say what they want to do with Revat, particularly her Rajan."

"Imprison and torture in the style of werewolves."

"Drench Revat in his blood."

"Eradicate his rule from history."

"Complete elimination."

"Death," came the simple declaration of Dilrobar. She was standing on the other side of the table, just opposite to Rudra. Even though her face was veiled and her reputation not very bright, the men present knew she was a prized weapon. She wasn't the apsara who would lure men to a never-ending spiral of ruination, but she was the legacy of the Mataraj– the woman behind the Rajan. She was his advisor akin to his mother. This elevated her in the eyes of the men, who didn't consider her trivial in matters of politics. She had seen Revat up close, being a former dweller of the kingdom, and knew it like the back of her hand.

"We all agree, thus," Aryamna said. "But, declaring war directly wouldn't be a wise idea. We need to give a prior warning."

"Warnings don't work anymore, Senapati."

"We need to charge without any intimidation. Surprise them with an attack."

"I understand that rage simmers in the hearts of all," Dilrobar interjected, "but the Senapati is right. Worthy men, I think we should consider the reputation of the Rajan as the sole sovereign and such behaviour would point out his cowardice. He isn't afraid to battle on fair terms. Only the one's who are weak suggest by hook or crook."

"What use is fairness when it's clearly not employed by both parties?" a man protested. "Werewolves best thrive in the dark."

"We are forgetting that our enemy isn't a weakling," Aryamna said. "I understand it is the warrior's dharma to believe in the superiority of the self, but it's incomplete if we undermine the strength of the foe. Hamal isn't any enemy. He is the enemy. We must remember that."

"A letter."

When Rudra spoke, everyone fell silent. "A letter, it is. I will write a letter to Hamal, stating that I am going to visit him, to settle some matters as peacefully as possible."