Chapter 31: The Dhananjaya Sword

They were looking for their lost brides– one drowned in fire, and another made to fall in a fairytale sleep.

****

"It gives me immense joy to declare that the curse on Ishgar, that had rendered the land almost infertile for years, has been finally lifted up."

Rajan Rudra's sky blue cloak curled around the arms of wind, holding onto the whooshing ship of air like a lover. He was standing on a temporary platform made over three nights by his architects. It was fenced all around and a circular stream of water covered it. Beside him Indumala brushed back her hair, watching fluffy clouds gather in the skies, as if a confirmation of the Rajan's words. Yes, the curse was gone. Now, golden crops and green plants would cover the land of Ishgar, and Indumala would be able to see how her birthplace really looked like years and years before.

Ishvara stood behind the Rajan and her daughter, her fingers interlocked with those of Aryamna. The Senapati had dressed in a safflower dyed dhoti and a furry shawl, simple yet powerful, while the Rajan donned a hiranya, its golden silky shine making him glow akin to the sun. It was more shimmering than his crown, more majestic than his physique.

"Why don't you dress lavishly like the Rajan?" Ishvara asked Aryamna while the Rajan delivered his meticulously thought speech.

"Do you want me to?" Aryamna took up her palm. "I wish you wore some more bangles– your hands look empty. What will the people think of me? Maybe that I don't buy you enough presents. Neither do you demand for luxuries."

"Swami, I-I should have been more sensitive. Yes, a new bride had to wear something better," she said, inspecting her sober white and golden attire. "I–"

"It's not your fault, Ishvara. Maybe you are not habituated to asking for things. I should have myself given you some. I promise to you, Ishvara, I will give you so much gold that you won't need to wear even a scrap of fabric to cover your body."

Ishvara noticed his thirsty gaze lingering on her bosom. He tilted his head a little to the side and then swiftly removed his attention from her beautiful moulds. Ishvara blushed, then tried to pull up the inner folds of her stanapatta to hide her cleavage.

"Don't," came a stern order from her husband. Ignoring the guards around, Aryamna ran his fingers over the top of her bosom and readjusted the stanapatta to how it was before. "Better."

Ishvara was too stunned to speak. She could feel every part of her body become warmer. Her skin heated up like a hot spring. She looked around to find the stoic faced male guards stare at them with shocked and enlarged eyes.

"You are beautiful, Ishvara. Show it off sometimes. God has been very careful when making you, and such a gorgeous piece of art needs to be praised," he said, intentionally loud enough for the servants and guards around to hear.

The poor woman didn't know how to thank such a compliment. Little did she realise how attractive she was. Or was it only Aryamna who found her pretty?

Either way, she had caught the attention of someone. Ishvara bit on her lips to not let out a giggle. Even if she didn't have the guts to boldly accept, she secretly liked whatever was happening.

"Then make sure to help me choose nice dresses for myself, Swami," she said.

"I will." He smirked, proud of the effect he had on his wife. The two focused back on the Rajan's speech.

"We have seen years of trials and tribulations. They slowly venture towards the hopeful. Even if the sovereign of this world, I am unaware of who is to be revered for curing this curse. However, my firm belief says there are two people behind this to whom we must be grateful."