Chapter 37: Kiss

Sometimes, love isn't in our hands, and however hard may we try to flee, it captures us in an enigmatic seize.

****

When Ishvara had nothing to do, she would think.

She and Aryamna were done with dinner. He was polishing his weapons while she sat on the bed, pondering.

It was strange that all these days she didn't know her real name. Only recently she realised that, long back, when the memories didn't leave and the world wasn't hit by the plague, she was called Nadira. Even though Master Makba from the guild had wisely pointed out the temporary nature of it, not knowing one's name caused a chaos in the heart. Ishvara now had two parts to herself – Princess Nadira of Ishgar, and Ishvara, the wife of Senapati Aryamna.

What all did she know in this time? She tried to put the clues in a string and form a story.

Once upon a time, I was Princess Nadira, daughter of Rajan Madhavan of Aryavarta and his wife Ranavato. Ranavato, a mother with whom I had a sour relationship. Mataraj Pushyaar, my father's other wife, possibly adored me. I had an adopted brother, named Rudra. And...where does Aryam fit here?

Was he adopted too? Maybe. The servants in my memories treat him like an outsider.

"What are you thinking so deeply?"

Ishvara shook her head. "Nothing, Swami."

"I like it more when you call me Aryamna."

She smiled. "Maybe I can shorten it to Aryam, like a sweet nickname, and you can call me Ish." She batted her eyelashes, dreamily drinking in his handsome features. She couldn't yet tell him she had amnesia; one day, she definitely would, but for now, she needed more clarity. To call him by his old name Aryam would revive buried, old feelings.

"Aryam... Sounds beautiful." The Senapati blushed. "And you are Ish. But, maybe I can call you something else."

"What is it?"

He smirked. "My little sparrow."

The warmth of his endearment brought a radiant bloom on her cheeks. She didn't have to question it– she knew this was what he used to call her.

"I have got to know that you weren't interested in marrying. Then, why did you accept me?"

Aryamna stiffened like a log, his eyes drowning in sorrow. "Can we not talk about this, sweetheart?"

"I am just curious why a man who was stubborn on walking the path of celibacy suddenly became a householder, and not just any, but a very doting husband. He even calls me his little sparrow, so can I not chirp and demand an explanation?"

"Let's say," Aryamna's lustrous smile enhanced the gilded luminosity of his blue eyes, "I fell for you on first sight."

Ishvara hid her face and giggled. Butterflies circled in her stomach. "You are adorable."

"Am I?"

"A lot. Maybe you don't understand. I am glad no one married you before and it's only me."

"We were always meant to be together. I firmly believe so."

"Tell me, did you never fall in love before?"

He averted his gaze. "I have."

"To whom."

"To you, in some other life, when I wasn't named Aryamna and belonged to a different family."

A hollow dug up in Ishvara's heart, she was forced to be quiet and helpless in the moment, dampening down the whimpers that moaned inside her soul. "I think you belonged to me, and I belonged to you."