Chapter 19: Delicate

She shall untie all knots and set you free.

****

"I have heard a lot about you, Indumala."

Devanj and Indumala headed towards the women's quarters of the palace. Indumala didn't live here though- she was given a room closer to the Rajan's.

It wasn't the first time she was coming to the Abode of Grace. Lines of lamps were lit and fragrance of lilies and tuberose filled the air. Incense had been lighted. Women passed by, their jingling bangles and clinking anklets planting a mesmerising touch of life in the grim palace. The walls were coloured in shades of copper and golden, testament to the richness of the earthly feminine. Indumala was not a regular visitor of the Abode of Grace, but she admired the beauty of it. It oozed royalty and pride from every corner.

"I try to be a good human," Indumala said. "Well, what is your work in the palace?"

"What do you think?"

"Umm, you spoke about a rescue, so maybe..."

Devanj batted his eyelashes. "Maybe?"

"You oversee covert operations?"

Devanj giggled. "Your Baba does that too. Yes, I do carry out secret rescue missions."

Devanj took her to the famous Hall of Intellect, a part of the women's quarters used by them for recreational activities and past times, often for arranging festivities too. The Hall of Intellect witnessed little pairs of company today. Some women sat in groups and practiced sewing, some played word games while some engaged in simple lively gossip and ate snacks.

Strangely enough, she saw many older women in the crowd too. She had previously thought that all the women who used to live in the palace were sort of an entertainment for the Rajan. That's what was portrayed in Ishgar. Few haters of Rudra even went as far as saying the women were forcibly taken away, from lands like Revat.

Revat- she had never gone there but heard so many things about the place. So many... abominable things. Everytime the topic of Revat came up in the guild, her Baba would become furious. And he never allowed her to be in the discussions associated with Revat, as if mentioning the name itself was spelling a curse. She could only imagine how inhuman the kingdom of Yavana was, because no one ever described to her its history.

"I actually have a question. I think it will be nice if you can be honest with me, Devanj."

"Go on."

"Many people in Ishgar say that the Rajan brings women from faraway lands for his own pleasure. He uses them. Is that true? I understand many rulers do that."

The amber eyes of Devanj were laden with a fierce protectiveness. "What do you think?" His voice was deeper and more serious.

Indumala looked around. The women were happy. They spent their time in cultivating interests and promoting joy. They didn't appear to be sad. She recalled the day when they so boldly asked the Rajan to sing. Some would say it was because they were close to the Rajan. Yes, indeed they were, albeit in a different manner. Perhaps Indumala was wrong about so many things. What could she even do? She was spoonfed about the dastardly deeds and the uncontrollable lust of the Rajan. That he was a monster and not a human.

How much of it was even true?

"When I first met the Rajan, he seemed very stern and rude, inconsiderate. It fuelled my perception of him being a bad ruler. However, in the little time I have been with him, I have seen his other, more delicate sides. I have come to understand that he is a very complicated character."