Chapter 29: Home invasion

They were leaving the Empire. Ainz had "managed" to find an interesting quest that was back in the kingdom. Well, some nobleman was the one to offer them the job and Erika was a bit worried about it. They were to protect the campsite while the workers that were hired investigated a newly discovered tomb.

The location was all too familiar to her. Erika knew for a fact that the mentioned location was their home and it scared her to know that people were going to try and steal things from them. Her papa has yet to voice his opinion on the matter all day no matter how many times she tried to bring the topic up. She could only hope that he had a plan for their current problem.

The three had arrived at the meeting in the courtyard of their employer. Erika was surprised by the number of workers and adventurers who had accepted the job. She watched nervously as the adventurers packed the large wagons with various supplies while the workers spoke to a butler about their job.

Erika sat up straighter on her papa's shoulders when the butler motioned for them to step forward. "I am pleased to inform you that we've hired some extra protection. Let me introduce you to the adamantite adventurer Momon of Darkness along with his daughter Mage Princess Iris and their companion Miss Nabe the Beautiful Mage of Darkness."

Erika watched as the workers marveled at their arrival though she couldn't help, but feel uncomfortable under the weird gaze the blonde with the slicked-back hair was giving her and Narberal.

"I would like to ask something, why have you chosen to go to these ruins?" Erika's eyes widened as her papa asked the very same question she had been thinking of all day. ' His silence on the topic for the whole day makes sense now. He must have been trying to figure out how they found Nazarick and is now seeing what he is going to do with them based on their response. Papa is so smart.'

"For most adventurers, there's a moral imperative for each job they receive. I would like to know why you workers decided to take this request."

"For the money." A spiky-haired blonde answered.

"So it comes down to that. You've been offered enough money that you're willing to put your lives on the line." Her papa's words continued to voice her thoughts perfectly. They wanted to raid their home so they could see what kind of profits they could gain.

"That's correct we've been offered a sum we would risk death to gain." A short rotund man in a full suit of armor spoke.

"But what if there were people or creatures that were already living there? Wouldn't it be rude to barge into their home?" Erika asked, hoping for any of them to give her some type of redeeming response. Her hope was soon dashed by the response of the man with the slicked-back hair.

"It matters not of what man or beast lies dormant in those tombs. Our job is to explore and collect by any means necessary. That is why we were hired for the task while you morality-driven adventurers are to protect the camp." The surrounding members agreed with the statement. She had fully given up trying to find a reason to protect these people from the wrath her family was going to unleash upon them. Their confidence was something she knew wouldn't be swayed by a six-year-old girl no matter how strong she was.

The blonde swordsman was the main reason for her decision. He had three women with him who had weirdly shaped ears that looked as if they were supposed to form a point but were cut off midway. Every time he moved one or all of them would flinch back as if expecting a hit. At least if she had anything to say about what would happen when these people entered Nazarick she could help these women.

"Very well it's your right to make that choice." Her papa's voice came out low and ominous but no one seemed to notice or rather care. "I see now I asked a truly worthless question. Forgive me." With that, they left to board the wagon that was meant for the adventurers.