Chapter One

On the bank of a meandering river and all on its lonesome sat a country estate like no other. Its weathered stone walls portrayed its ancient origins and vines grew over its many windows. If someone were to happen upon this place, they would surely believe it to be some lordly manor. But it wasn't. It was an orphanage for young witches.

As rain pelted the roof of the Home for Enchanted Girls one dreary morning, its caretakers were on a mission. To wake up the only orphan who hadn't graced the dining room with their presence.

Shuffling down a corridor, their long robes sweeping over the carpeted wooden floor, Miss Harrower, Madame Joan and Mrs Good were heading upstairs. And the looks on their faces conveyed much annoyance.

With Mrs Good leading the way, her pointy nose trained on the delinquent, the three trounced up a winding staircase. And once they reached the landing, its sides adorned with broomsticks, they headed down another corridor. Door after door they passed, each one etched with a name, until they reached one in particular.

Without knocking, the three middle-aged witches barged in, quickly screeching at the scene that greeted them. The bedroom was a mess. Objects, books and clothes were strewn everywhere and a desk and chair had been overturned.

'Merlynna!' Mrs Good bellowed. 'If you are hiding away in all of this, show yourself immediately.'

Suddenly, and giving the caretakers another scare, out from underneath the bed popped a head, the girl's long brown hair matted to the side of her freckled cheeked face.

'Morning, Misses,' Merlynna yawned.

'Don't morning, Misses us, young lady,' Miss Harrower retorted, glaring down with her beady black eyes. 'You missed breakfast – once again – and our important announcement. And what are you doing under there?'

'I was sleeping.' Merlynna poked her arms out and gave them a stretch. 'As you can see my bed's a mess and this was the only place I had room to travel to dreamland. If I'm being honest, it's not that bad under here. I may have to sleep here from now on.'

'Didn't your alarm go off?' asked Madame Joan. Through her thick purple glasses, she pointed over at the clock on the wall that she had specifically made for Merlynna. 'But before you answer, please get out from under there and honor us with the respect we deserve.'

'Yes, sorry, ma'am.' With some effort, Merlynna squeezed out from under the bed, her black cat print pajamas looking as if they had been thrown into a fire, for burnt spots covered the garment. She then stood up, gave a short bow before answering sheepishly, 'And I may have charmed the clock to not wake me up.'

'How did you do that?' said Madame Joan, looking aghast. 'Your magical ability couldn't have outcharmed my spell on the clock.'

'No disrespect, Madame Joan, but it seems like it did.' Merlynna then watched as Madame Joan's face turned more sour, a telling off on the tip of her tongue.

Mrs Good, however, deflated Madame Joan's anger by holding up a hand. 'Why would you do that knowing we were going to announce something important this morning? Remember I told you that last night right before I yelled at you to turn off your light.'

Feigning recollection, Merlynna replied, 'I'm sorry, ma'am, I completely forgot you told me that.'

'Hmmmm.' Mrs Good looked as though she didn't believe that. 'And another question–'

'Yes, ma'am.'

'What happened to your room? It's as if a storm has come through here.'

'Now this truly is my fault. It was a combination of a wayward spell and me trying to defend myself against said wayward spell. I promise I'll clean it all up.'

Arthur Hood: the Heir of Robin and Kingजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें