Chapter Seventeen

'I don't think I can take much more of this,' Little Johnny yelled into the wind. 'My stomach is not agreeing with this one bit.'

Despite Merlynna's complete focus on flying, something she had never truly been able to do before, the broom was still as wild as ever.

Arthur had to agree with Little Johnny. Though thrilling, and also completely bizarre that he was on a broom high up in the air, he felt a little queasy. And being that he was holding onto Pridwen and for dear life, his arms were beginning to tire.

'Just hold on a bit more,' Merlynna shouted back. 'We're nearly there.'

Below them towns morphed into countryside, and countryside morphed into wilderness, where meandering and raging rivers emerged. And there was one waterway that they were quick to follow. After a dozen or so bends, that's when Arthur saw something in the distance. It looked like a country estate.

'There is it,' yelled Merlynna. 'The Home for Enchanted Girls. To you it will look like an old disused mill but it's charmed to make it look like that.'

'I don't see an old mill,' said Arthur, 'I see a country estate.'

'Yeah, me too,' added Little Johnny.

'Oh, cauldron cracks,' swore Merlynna. 'That means the charm's been broken.'

'Broken? But how?' asked Arthur.

'My guess . . . fairies.'

'What do we do now?' asked Little Johnny.

'I need to make sure everyone's okay,' Merlynna replied.

'That could be too dangerous though.'

'But I have to do it.'

'Maybe we should get lower,' suggested Arthur. 'We may be seen up here.'

'You're right. Hold on.' Merlynna pushed the broom handle down, making the boys whimper.

For the next several moments, and as the river hurtled up towards them in shaking and undulating chaos, Arthur felt like his heart was about to explode. It was when he was sure that they were about to crash into the water, and which sent him wailing in fright, that Merlynna pulled up.

The broom head sliced into the current as they then swayed and pivoted almost out of control. From bank to bank they veered and drifted until the broom eventually began to slow and straighten out.

'Phew,' breathed Merlynna. 'That was a close one.' Then shaking her head, she added, 'If only my broom skills were a lot better–'

'Hey, don't worry about it,' gulped Arthur, happy they were closer to the ground now.

'Yeah,' said Little Johnny. 'In fact, that was quite impressive.'

As the three continued over the river like a skimming dragonfly, the Home for Enchanted Girls in the distance grew larger and larger. And all eyes were on the lookout for any sign of movement.

But there was none.

'What do you think happened?' asked Arthur.

'I don't know, but it doesn't look good,' said Merlynna. 'I don't think I've ever seen the orphanage without any lights on at night before.'

Suddenly, the broom began to drift downwards and everyone's shoes dipped into the water, soaking them through.

'Any chance of getting a bit higher?' asked Little Johnny.

Arthur could hear Merlynna straining.

'I'm trying but nothing's happening,' she wheezed out. 'The broom's not responding to anything I do to it anymore. Something's not right here.'