Chapter Thirty-Two

'For certain they'll come looking for me,' said Arthur. An ominous wind was churning outside, thrashing branches and limbs against the windows of the dining car. 'Or they could already be on their way–the Sheriff's silver arrow found me here.' He gestured to King Arthur's crown on the table before him. 'I should take this and leave Robin's Wood. It's only fair. It's because of me that all of you and this forest are in danger.'

'No,' came Esme with a wave of agreement from the other Children of the Forest, who were listening with utmost regard. 'We will help you. You were brought to Robin's Wood for a reason. Morgana and the Sheriff would still have appeared if you hadn't come. We still would be in danger.'

'But I'm the reason they'll stay. Stay until they get what they want.'

'Maybe you, Esme,' said Little Johnny, 'and everyone else should leave Robin's Wood.'

'No chance,' thundered a chorus. 'This is our home. We'll never leave.'

'Well, that settles it,' said Merlynna, nodding as Fury licked his wings on her shoulders. 'We're all staying.'

'That means Morgana and the Sheriff will come here to the train in the trees,' said Arthur.

'We'll have to defend it then,' Esme replied.

'But how? I barely escaped them. And who knows how many more fairies, Sheriff's Men and monsters have come through the portal since yesterday. If we're going to defend ourselves, we'll need help.'

'So that's what we'll get. There is still much good in this forest, creatures that will come to our side, especially now. I'm sure of it.'

This sent a wave of enthusiastic nodding all around.

'The pixies will help,' came someone. 'The unicorns, too.'

'There are unicorns in Robin's Wood?' sputtered Arthur in surprise.

'Oh, yes.' Esme smiled. 'And they're friends with the phoenixes. So if we get the unicorns, they will surely come to our aid as well.'

'Ooh, I've always wanted to see a phoenix,' said Merlynna, 'I once collected their feathers when I was younger, ones I found in the grounds of the orphanage.'

'What about Nessie?' a young girl said. 'She'd be a great help, I'm sure.'

'We could definitely ask,' said Esme.

'Who's Nessie?' wondered Little Johnny.

Esme looked at him. 'You know, the Nessie, as in the Loch Ness Monster.'

'WHAT?' Arthur, Little Johnny and Merlynna snapped with shock.

'The Loch Ness Monster lives in Robin's Wood?' Arthur added.

'She has for quite some time,' said Esme. 'She came here because she just couldn't get any peace at her old home. Too many people trying to find her.'

'I don't know how she's going to help defend us here,' said a boy. 'She's quite the big creature and we have no water here except for the well.'

'Maybe she can help us some other way,' said Esme. 'Speaking of water and the well, we should go look for the mermaids.' This made Merlynna hang her head in sadness. 'If they're still alive, they'll help.'

'Apart from getting help, we should set up more traps around here,' said another boy. 'Set up lookouts, too.'

'That's a great idea,' replied Esme.

'Shame about Maid Marian and the other ghosts,' said Little Johnny.

Arthur looked over at Esme, who had started to fumble with Robin's horn. 'Maybe you should try to call them again.'