Chapter Twenty-Seven

The dark figure kept to the shadows in front as Arthur was led through the forest by the Wild Children. They had been walking for ages.

'Where are you taking me?' Arthur asked as he stared at the looming silhouette and his backpack dangling from the man's hand. He could still hear Robin's feathers buzzing inside.

Right behind, the boy with the bowler hat planted a stick into Arthur's back, making him stumble forward. 'Keep moving.'

Despite his predicament, Arthur was feeling bold. And he asked loudly so that the man was sure to hear, 'Who are you ? I think I have the right to know.'

The man came to a halt, making everyone else stop too. Then slowly, he walked into the light from the Wild Children's torches and right up to Arthur, who gulped at the sight.

The man was grizzled and stared down with the blackest of eyes. Scars covered his sinister and brutish face, and a brown robe flowed down his bulging frame.

'You want to know who I am?' the man gruffed with hatred. 'I am the enemy of outlaws and the one that went by Robin Hood.'

Arthur gulped again. He wasn't feeling bold now. 'You're...you're...you're the Sheriff?'

The man gave an evil smile before a shrill laugh drew everyone's attention.

'Mother's here,' the boy with the bowler hat said.

Arthur peered around the Sheriff and saw another silhouette looming beyond the light.

'Is this him?' the figure then rasped softly.

'It is, mother,' the boy with the bowler hat answered.

'Good.'

The figure appeared, making Arthur gasp this time. With skin that cracked and flaked, thin and scraggly hair cascaded over the crooked shape of a gaunt-faced woman.

'Ah, yes,' she brayed, wrenching over. She bent down, grabbed Arthur's chin and yanked his head up. 'I see the resemblance to the villainous king.'

'Morgana?' Arthur breathed.

'Morgana le Fay you will call me,' the woman shrieked before snapping her gaze at Arthur's backpack, where she glared at it hypnotically. 'I sense Camelot.'

The Sheriff ripped open the bag, where Robin Hood's feathers suddenly flew out and up into the air. And realizing what they were, the man stared, enraged.

Yet, Arthur's heart filled with hope at their sight, that somehow they would help him escape, but that very instance, they took off and disappeared.

The Sheriff snarled. And as he sent his silver arrow after them, Morgana grabbed Arthur's backpack, reached inside and pulled out the crown.

'I knew this day would come,' the woman hissed with delight, making her skin crack and flake even more. 'It's finally in my hands. My magic may be weakening, the Lady of the Lake cursing it before I rid this world of her, but with this crown, the power of Camelot is mine for the taking. I will be as powerful as I've ever been.'

Arthur went numb, but anger boiled. 'You killed the Lady of the Lake?'

'Indeed, boy. Only fitting for the one that imprisoned me for too long.'

'You will never get Camelot's power.'

'I will. And you will help me. You will make me the Queen of Camelot.'

'I will never help you. And you will be stopped.' Though Arthur had no idea what had become of them, not knowing if they were still alive, he added, 'Outside of this forest, there are people, the Merry Knights they call themselves, the protectors of the legends of King Arthur and Robin Hood. They fight for justice and they will stop you, along with me and my friends.'