Chapter Ten

'Miss Eustace,' Arthur breathed, 'is that you?'

The woman that he had come to know from all the times she had looked after him appeared completely different. No longer was her hair done up neatly in a bun but flowing down almost to her waist. And gone was her black dress. Now she was wearing green tights and a brown sleeveless jacket. Oh, and she was also carrying a bow and a quiver of arrows.

'It is, Arthur,' Miss Eustace replied, giving him a smile yet there was an urgency in her tone. She then looked down at the gnomes, 'Thank you for keeping him safe, you two.'

Bitty and Dolores bowed.

'I can't believe I'm saying this,' said Arthur, 'but you know the gnomes from my front step? Gnomes that have somehow magically come to life?'

'I do,' said Miss Eustace. 'We've known one another for a long time. We are friends, fighters of the Shadow.'

There was that word again.

'What's the Shadow?' asked Arthur.

'They're our enemies. The enemies of the Merry Knights, which we belong to. They're your enemies too. Including the Fays, the Sheriff's Men and many more evil beings, the Shadow has laid waste to many and their homes.'

Bitty and Dolores hung their heads.

'Wait, did you just say the Sheriff's Men?' asked Arthur. 'Who are they?'

'Descendants. Descendants of the men who supported Robin Hood's nemesis.'

'Robin Hood? The Robin Hood?' Arthur went wide-eyed. 'Then does that mean he was real? His tale?'

'Indeed, he was as real as you and me and Bitty and Dolores.'

Then realizing something else, Arthur burst out. 'And the–the-the Fays. Don't tell me they have something to do with Morgana le Fay.'

'They are her children.'

'So that means King Arthur and his tale were real too.'

'Yes.'

Arthur shook his head before mumbling to himself, 'This night has gone from strange to completely mad.'

'I know it's a lot to take in.'

'It's more than a lot to take in, Miss Eustace. And if this is all true, why are they my enemies? I've never done anything to the Fays or these Sheriff's Men. What does any of this have to do with me?'

'It's because you are special, Arthur.'

'Very special,' added Dolores.

'That's what the fairy said,' replied Arthur. 'How am I special?'

'You're special,' said Miss Eustace, 'because you are the descendant of both King Arthur and Robin Hood.'

Arthur was sure he had misheard that. 'Can you say that again?'

'You are the heir of King Arthur and Robin Hood.'

Arthur pointed to himself and mouthed, 'Me?'

'Yes.'

'I can't believe it.' Arthur then scrunched up his face. 'But wait. Wouldn't that mean my parents are too?'

'Yes. King Arthur's blood runs through your mother and the blood of Robin Hood flows through your father. They were the last heirs until they had you.'

'Do they know?'

Miss Eustace shook her head. 'For their survival, the lineages of King Arthur and Robin had to be lost to history.'