Chapter Thirty-Eight

Sitting in his backyard, Arthur stared up at the dark sky and its twinkling stars. It was a wonderful night and he was waiting for it to get even better.

'They should have been here by now,' Arthur said to himself before a gust of wind suddenly blew past him.

Any other time, he would have thought it strange as the air was completely still with not even a fluttering leaf, but he knew what had caused the flurry. Or who had caused it more precisely.

Arthur clambered to his feet and called out happily, 'Little Johnny, I know that was you.'

In a flash, and a giggle and another gust of wind, the boy with the gnarly coat appeared, the Shoes of Swiftness on his feet and his mended staff strapped to his back.

With smiles, the two shook hands and embraced.

'Good journey?' Arthur asked.

'Fast,' Little Johnny replied, 'but I almost got taken out by a cow in a field. Just didn't see it. Maybe nighttime isn't the best time to come visit you.'

'Or maybe you could be more careful. You know, go a bit slower.'

Little Johnny hacked up a roar of laughter. 'Never going to happen. Where's the fun in that?'

Shaking his head, Arthur asked, 'So how's Robin's Wood?'

'It's been great and everything's back to normal,' Little Johnny answered. 'There have been no more sightings of monsters. The good of heart are once again the only ones who may find the forest.'

'Phew. That's really good to hear.'

'Well, it's not all back to normal. We decided to keep the lake below the train in the trees.'

'Have you now?'

'Well, it wasn't us who decided. It was Nessie. We couldn't persuade her to leave.'

Arthur chuckled before nodding and saying in realization, 'So it's definite then. You're going to stay with the Children of the Forest. Make Robin's Wood your home.'

Little Johnny beamed. 'I sure am. And I've never been this happy before in my life.'

'I'm glad to hear that.'

'How are Morgana and the Sheriff?'

'Still as wooden as ever.'

Arthur breathed a sigh of relief.

'And they've started to sprout leaves,' Little Johnny continued. 'Next year they may even produce flowers and fruit.'

Arthur scrunched up his face. 'Yuck. I'm sure they'd taste horrible.'

'No question about that–'

A shriek had cracked the air. The boys peered up and saw a familiar and welcomed silhouette thrashing around like a fly to a moony lightbulb. It was heading their way.

'It looks like she still hasn't improved,' said Little Johnny.

'I heard that!' Merlynna's voice came back before the young witch landed with a stumble on the grass right in front of the boys. She then dismounted her broom and rushed over to give them a hug.

'It's so good to see you two,' Merlynna blurted out.

'And you,' Arthur and Little Johnny replied together.

'Good ride?' Little Johnny then added with a smirk.

'As it so happened. . . yes,' Merlynna said before mumbling, 'apart from the airplane incident.'

'What was that?'

'Nothing. I said nothing.'

'Fury didn't come with you?' Arthur was looking up for the winged cat.

'Don't get me started with that devilish creature,' said Merlynna. 'I tried getting him to come but he's back to his ignoring ways. It's also a lot tougher to find him now that he has more space to wander around and hide. Camelot is huge.' She then looked at Arthur more warmly. 'I know I've said this thousands of times but thank you for giving me and all the other enchanted girls another home.'

Arthur smiled. 'Don't mention it.'

'Speaking of that and having more space, Mrs Good said that she'll be inviting more orphaned young witches who need a place to stay.'

'That's brilliant.'

'It sure is.'

Arthur couldn't have been more happy as he was right then, right there. His friends were happy, the Shadow was defeated and he had his mother and father back.

'Where are they, by the way?' asked Merlynna.

'Who?'

'Your parents?'

'How did you–'

Merlynna turned sheepish. 'I may have accidentally put myself under a telepathic charm which I can't undo.'

Arthur and Little Johnny opened their mouths in shock.

'So,' Merlynna continued, 'where are your parents? I would love to meet them properly. I didn't really have much time the last time I saw them.'

'Sadly they're away on another dig,' Arthur replied.

'They're still doing that after everything,' said Little Johnny. 'After knowing who you come from. Who they came from.'

'Yup,' said Arthur. 'Archaeology is in their blood. They'll never stop doing it. Which I admire very much. I mean, they were a bit hesitant to leave.'

'So what are they off searching for this time?' asked Merlynna.

'The Ring of Eluned the Fortunate,' said Arthur. 'Some mysterious billionaire wrote them a letter hinting that they may know its location.'

'What's the Ring of Eluned the Fortunate?'

'A legendary ring that's said to give the person who wears it the power of invincibility.'

'You're kidding me,' said Little Johnny. He and Merlynna's eyes were as wide as plates.

'I'm not,' said Arthur.

'Well if they find it, let's hope it doesn't get into the wrong hands.'

'Mr Scarlett and a few of the other Merry Knights are going with them to make sure that doesn't happen.'

'Phew. Glad to hear.'

Just then a deafening clatter reverberated out of Arthur's house, sending Little Johnny grabbing his staff and Merlynna whipping out a wand.

'What was that?' Arthur's friends said together, scared but ready for action.

'It's all right, you two,' Arthur replied. 'That's just my Great Uncle. He's probably fallen over again.'

With relief, Little Johnny lowered his staff and Merlynna lowered her wand, which was quick to get the boys' attention.

'A new magical toy?' Arthur asked.

'I found it in Camelot. I think it belonged to some old wizard.'

'Is it safe?' asked Little Johnny.

'I haven't really tested it,' said Merlynna, 'so I don't know.'

'That's not really what I want to hear.'

Arthur chuckled. 'Come on, let's go inside. And when my great uncle gets back to his feet, which could take anywhere between a few minutes to a few hours, we can help him make us some Pancake Stew.'

Shoulder to shoulder, the three friends walked inside.

The End.