Chapter Thirty-Five

Atop the train in the trees Arthur stood ready for battle, Pridwen and the Sword in the Stone in his hands. To the right of him was Merlynna, her arms raised and ready to cast, a broomstick strapped to her back and Fury on her shoulder. And on his other side was Little Johnny, the Shoes of Swiftness tied tightly around his ankles and his staff pointing in the direction of the approaching gloom.

With a quiver, Arthur looked around at all the others who were there to fight with him. Children stood perched in the trees with bows at the ready. Phoenixes, pixies and other winged animals nestled like gargoyles, ready to take flight. Below, ground dwelling creatures and the ghosts of Robin Hood's good fellows stood side by side waiting to charge and all the water creatures waded in the lake like waves ready to envelope.

From within the train, where more children peered out the windows with bows, Esme emerged and walked over.

'We're all ready,' she said to Arthur. 'They're yours to command.'

Arthur looked at her sternly. 'I think you're more capable than I am.'

'Are you sure?'

'Very much.'

'If you say so,' Esme replied before taking a deep breath.

'Where's your weapon?' Merlynna had noticed Esme didn't have one. 'Were there no bows left for you?'

Esme shook her head.

'Take my sword,' said Arthur.

Shaking her head again, Esme replied, 'It is better in your hands. You are the only one who can wield its strength.'

'Then take my yo-yo again,' came Merlynna. 'You can keep it too. From now on it's yours.' The young witch reached inside her pocket but grabbed something that was not her toy. 'Hmmm. What's this?' She then pulled out a folded piece of parchment and unfurled it.

'That's Amzin's prophecy,' said Little Johnny.

'I completely forgot that I had it. And whoa . . . . look . . . there are more words written down. How strange.'

Arthur and Little Johnny huddled over to get a peek.

'You're right,' said Arthur, shocked.

'What does it say?' asked Little Johnny.

'After the three of us are mentioned,' said Melynna, 'it goes on to name everyone, every creature here with us right now. And it says together, we will defeat the Shadow.'

Despite what lay ahead for them and though they were quite puzzled by the mysterious amendment to the prophecy, Arthur, Little Johnny, Merlynna and Esme smiled.

Arthur then took the parchment and asked, 'But how is this possible? How did it change?'

'The forest and its magic I'm sure.' Merlynna took back the parchment and put it back inside her pocket before taking out her yo-yo and handing over.

'Thank you,' replied Esme as the sound of the redcaps scuttling towards the train in the tree grew to laughter. She then turned with a look of absolute confidence and yelled for all to hear. 'HERE WE GO! WAIT FOR MY COMMAND!'

Suddenly, Arthur could see branches and leaves flutter through the trees up ahead. Then, as if a horde of zombies were after them, he saw a wall of redcaps.

'WAIT FOR MY COMMAND!' Esme yelled again as the looks on the Children of the Forest and the Wild Children all around turned more dark and scared.

Arthur watched, waiting for the redcaps to get closer. And the second he saw several disappear into gnome holes, he tightened his grip on the Sword in the Stone. It was time.