Chapter Three

Far from the Home for Enchanted Girls and the home of Little Johnny, another young boy lived, and he was just about to be called up to the front of his class.

'Arthur Hood,' screeched Mrs Fairweather. The menacing history teacher sat behind her desk and a thick layer of makeup, which covered her old and wrinkled face, 'your presentation of the famous historical figure that you chose.'

With a deep breath, Arthur stood up from his chair and started towards the blackboard. But as he began shuffling past other students, the usual snickers growing all around, a leg poked out into the aisle.

Too slow to react, Arthur tripped over the purposely placed limb and began stumbling forward, his arms clawing wildly to gain back his footing, but it was useless. Looking like a human windmill, he fumbled on, picking up speed, until he smashed into the globe resting on Mrs Fairweather's desk. Along with the sphere, he tumbled to the floor.

Laughs, laughs and more laughs filled the classroom. Even Mrs Fairweather joined in with the ruckus until she hacked up a storm and yelled for everyone to shut their traps.

'Quiet, you lot,' she bellowed.

The laughing died instantly and Arthur, who went flush in the cheeks, quickly got back to his feet. He then placed the globe back on the desk before glancing at the culprit of his humiliating feat.

His name was Billy the Brute. He was huge and had always been a thorn in Arthur's side.

'Arthur Hood!' snapped Mrs Fairweather. 'Get on with it. We haven't got all day.'

'Yes, ma'am,' Arthur replied before grabbing a piece of chalk and writing his name on the blackboard.

'Everyone already knows your name, idiot,' Billy called out, getting more laughs.

This time Mrs Fairweather didn't participate in the ridicule. Instead, she snatched a ruler from her side and whipped it down onto her desk, making an ear-splitting noise. 'Shut up.'

Again, everyone went quiet.

'Billy,' Mrs Fairweather continued with a snap, 'detention after school. And your parents will be called this time.'

To Arthur's dismay, Billy looked daggers at him, curled his mouth into a sneer and breathed, 'I'm going to get you for that.'

'Arthur Hood,' Miss Fairweather snapped again. 'If you don't start this instant, you'll be joining Billy.'

That would be a fate worse than death, thought Arthur, and he quickly got to his presentation.

'Today, there are two figures, two of my favorites, that I'll be sharing with you,' Arthur piped up, stuttering with nerves. 'You may already know who they are but I will indulge a lot more of their history.' He pointed to his first name on the blackboard. 'The first is the just and courageous King Arthur, the hero and ruler of Camelot.' He then pointed to his last name. 'And the second is Robin Hood, the great outlaw who stood up for the common folk and fought tyranny.'

Now smiling and his nerves dampening, Arthur turned to Mrs Fairweather, thinking she'd be impressed by his choices – who wouldn't be – but a sagging grimace, as if weights were holding down her face, graced her features as it always did when she was beyond annoyed.

'Arthur,' she muttered softly and calmly, yet her left eye twitched as if her head was about to explode.

'Yes, ma'am,' said Arthur with a gulp, for he knew her composure was a ruse.

'What was the assignment again?'

'To do a presentation about a famous historical figure.'

'Historical being the key word. Real, not mythical.'