Chapter Thirty-One

As Pridwen now rested next to King Arthur's crown and the embedded Sword in the Stone, Sheriff's Men looked on from atop the walls of the hollow, fairies hovered in the air, and beasts lumbered and stooped.

And while more of the Shadow marched out of the portal, Arthur wondered how he was going to get out of this horrible mess, to get back to Little Johnny and Merlynna. He knew he would have to do something quick if was going to escape, otherwise they'd just be too many to stop him.

Arthur was eyeing the sword for the umpteenth time when out from the portal came cart after cart, each one piled high with axes. They were to cut down the forest, to destroy it as the Sheriff wanted. And all the Wild Children, who were now resigned to crouching, cowering on their knees, were terrified by the sight.

At that moment, Arthur heard the noise that had got him into this trouble he was in.

Out from the corner of his eye, the silver arrow zipped overhead. It sped towards the Sheriff before abruptly stopping right in front of his unflinching face. Next, the arrow spun around, pointing in the direction from which it just came.

The Sheriff screwed up his features, making him appear more evil, yet it was a look of vigilance.

Interesting, Arthur thought, waiting for maybe the appearance of Robin's feathers. Or had something spooked the Sheriff's arrow?

Well, that would be a resounding yes, for suddenly, dozens of Sheriff's Men went flying as if something invisible had plowed through them. And as more fumbled through the air, fairies began to drop like flies as if they had been stunned.

Had someone magical come to rescue him, Arthur wondered?

But then, a yo-yo flung down into the hollow and a swish, as if someone really fast just blew by, ruffled Arthur's hair. The familiar blast of a horn followed before ghosts, ghosts and more ghosts descended into the pit, and who were tailed by a hissing Fury.

The ensuing chaos sent the trolls and other monsters bounding around in rage, as Arthur then watched King Arthur's crown and Pridwen vanish with a swoosh.

'WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS?' screeched Morgana, as the faint laugh of Little Johnny flitted around. 'AND WHERE'S MY CROWN?'

With a jerk, the Sheriff grabbed Arthur and shook him. 'IS THIS YOUR DOING?'

'Get your filthy hands off of him!' came a woman's voice. And through all the fighting appeared an apparition. A woman.

Dropping Arthur, the Sheriff turned. 'Well, well, look who we have here. It's been a long time, Marian.'

Arthur went wide-eyed at the name. Could it really be?

The woman glanced at Arthur with a realization of who he was too before the Sheriff continued, 'It seems like my killing you didn't rid you from this world completely. How sad for me. Let's try again, shall we.'

Out of nowhere the silver arrow sliced the air and pierced Marion through the heart. A look of dread washed over her before she dissolved into wisps. Soon after, all the other ghosts disappeared with her.

The Sheriff grabbed Arthur again. 'NOW I WON'T ASK YOU AGAIN. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE CROWN?'

'This is not my doing,' Arthur croaked as he stared into the man's black-hearted, seething eyes. He then heard another swooshing noise.

The Sheriff's head whipped back as if he had been hit. The swoosh then came again, but this time, the man was ready and he stuck out his hand. In an instant, Little Johnny materialized into his grasp. And sitting on the boy's head was King Arthur's crown and in his hand was Pridwen.

'YOU'VE MADE A GRAVE MISTAKE, BOY,' the Sheriff growled as Morgana twitched and squirmed over, ready to take back the legendary relics.

Arthur knew this was his time to act, and he lunged for the Sword in the Stone, grabbing its hilt. Then with all his might, he pulled.

The blade sang and thrummed as it was freed from its rocky tomb.

Arthur screamed in triumph. And as he raised the sword into the air, preparing to free his friend, a bolt of lightning flashed down into the hollow. It hit the blade with earth-shattering effect, sending dazzling sparks showering everywhere.

Still adorned, Little Johnny dropped to the ground with a hard thud as the Sheriff and Morgana's attention shifted.

'Hand that over,' the Sheriff growled to Arthur.

'To me,' Morgana demanded, thrusting out a bony hand.

'No chance,' Arthur replied before hearing frightened screams. With a snap, he looked in their direction and saw that Merlynna, Esme and even Fury had been captured by the Deputy.

'Do it now.' The cracks in Morgana's face widened even more.

'Little Johnny,' Arthur yelled, 'go rescue them. Then get outta here.'

'What about you?' Little Johnny replied.

'Just do it. I'll be fine.'

At the speed of light, Little Johnny disappeared and the Deputy was instantaneously knocked out cold. The girls and Fury then vanished too.

'MY CROWN!' Morgana screamed and sent a spell, a ball of fizzing black, charging towards Arthur. 'HOW DARE YOU!'

Arthur swung the sword as hard as he could and the blade hit the hex, causing it to explode with a ripping boom.

'I'LL TAKE CARE OF HIM!' The Sheriff roared. And as the Shadow still continued to emerge from the portal, the silver arrow made another appearance.

Luckily, Arthur swung the sword just in time and batted it out of the air.

Now howling like a mad man, the Sheriff snatched a sword from the ground and lunged. His blade came down but Arthur was able to catch it with his.

Sparks flew as if a flurry of fireworks were let off.

The Sheriff came down with his sword once more and Arthur caught it again. But the impact sent him sprawling to the floor.

'HAHAHAHAHA!' The Sheriff laughed. 'You are defeated. Now hand over the blade.'

'I WILL NEVER!' Arthur yelled back. 'YOU'LL HAVE TO PRY IT FROM MY HANDS!'

'That can be arranged.' The Sheriff looked over at Morgana. 'You have no need for his limbs, do you?'

'Just his head and his heart,' Morgana replied with a click and clack, her body twitching in pleasure.

The Sheriff peered back at Arthur. 'This is your last chance. Hand over the blade.'

'Do your worst,' Arthur growled back and as an image of his father and mother flashed through his mind.

The Sheriff raised his arms. And with a heave, he slashed down.

'AHHHHHHHHH!' Arthur screamed and swung.

The two blades connected like before, but this time, one won. The Sheriff's sword broke in two with not just a clatter but a rumbling blast, the tip shooting off towards the trolls.

It was then, and like slow motion, the point pierced the backside of one of the monsters, who cried with wrath before pummeling one of the druid stones in absolute rampage. The still revolving rock crashed to the ground like some fiery meteor falling from space, sending up dirt so thick that everywhere became shrouded.

Arthur turned back to the Sheriff to see that he had disappeared inside the storm and decided it was time for him to disappear too. He scrambled to his feet as he heard Morgana screech, 'DON'T LET THE BOY ESCAPE!' and took off.

Arthur bolted through the jumbled mess of Sheriff's Men, fairies, other heinous beasts, crying Wild Children and debris. It felt like an eternity, but he finally made it out of the hollow and away from the grasp of the Shadow once again.

Then without looking to see if he was being followed, he just ran and ran and ran. He ran until he was leaping over the Babbling Brook and back inside the territory of the Children of the Forest, where shortly he found himself collapsed in exhaustion and glaring up at welcomed faces.