Chapter Thirty-Three

'Where do you think they're taking us?' said Little Johnny, as Robin's feathers weaved through the branches and leaves in front of him and the others.

'Maybe to the mermaids,' hoped Merlynna.

Arthur added with a huff, 'Wherever they are, it has to be good, right?'

But after skirting several small caves, trudging across a crumbling stone bridge and dodging under hundreds of beehives dangling from the trees, they found themselves inside a ravine and at a dead-end.

'Now what?' said Arthur, looking up. Robin's feathers were now just flickering around above with no want. 'Do you see anything?'

'Nothing,' replied Little Johnny.

'Me neither,' said Merylnna. 'But maybe there's something hidden. Something we can't see. I'll try my magic.' With determination, she breathed, 'Reveal your secrets to me.'

A brief crack of a light bursting from the ravine's wall caught Arthur immediately. And leaping over to the rock, he was quick to brush at its weathered and encrusted surface. Soon, he was staring at the etching of a handprint.

'Whoa!' gasped Little Johnny, as he and Merlynna were now looking at it too. 'What do you think it means?'

'I don't know,' Arthur replied.

'And why would the feathers want to show you this?'

'Maybe it's not just a carving,' Merlynna replied. 'Maybe it's a key.'

'A key to what?' Little Johnny wondered.

'Let's see, shall we. Arthur, I have a feeling you're the only one who can find out.'

Arthur nodded and raised his hand over the etching. Then with a deep breath, he placed it on the print. Instantly, a warmth flooded through him before the rock cracked open.

Now staring down a tunnel in absolute shock, a sparkle at the very end, Arthur said, 'You were right, Merlynna.'

With a smirk, the young witch replied, 'As always.'

'So, after you, Arthur,' said Little Johnny.

'Right,' Arthur replied. He then led the way through the pass and out into the light at the other end.

Before them was a grass clearing sparkling with dew and surrounded by an orchard of fruit trees of which hung more busy beehives.

'What is this place?' asked Little Johnny.

'I don't know,' Arthur replied.

'They seem to like it though,' said Merlynna.

Like birds set free from a cage, Robin's feathers were frolicking around. They looped. They glided. They soared.

Keeping his eye on them, Arthur walked to the center of the clearing. And as he wasn't looking where he was going, he almost tripped on something.

'Watch yourself,' said Little Johnny.

Arthur stared down and spied a rock. But it was no ordinary rock. It had a shape to it. The shape of a cap.

'Hmm, that's interesting,' he said, scrunching up his brows.

'What's interesting?' asked Merlynna, and she and Little Johnny hurried over.

'That.'

Before anyone could wonder why there was a rock in the shape of a cap at their feet, the feathers flew over with a whoosh and began circling. Around and around they went until they were just a spinning carousel. Then in a blink of an eye, they shot up into the sky, turned and dived back down.