Chapter Fifteen

'A witch, really?' asked Arthur. He had taken Azmin's prophecy from Little Johnny and was now reading it himself.

The centaur nodded. 'And you two may keep the parchment. It may come in handy in the future.'

'I wonder what kind of spells she knows,' said Little Johnny. 'Hopefully some real powerful ones so we can defeat the Shadow.'

Arthur could picture the young witch, this Merlynna, casting the most brilliant magic. He could imagine fire tornadoes, tsunamis, lightning and much more. 'I can't wait to meet her if we indeed do.'

'Well, now that you have seen what I have foretold,' said Amzin, 'I'll take you boys back downstairs.'

'Can we look at King Arthur's crown and Pridwen again?' asked Little Johnny.

'Of course you may.'

Arthur curled up the prophecy and carefully stuffed it inside his backpack. The three then left, taking the stairs all the way back down through the tower and back to the chamber.

And this time, Arthur plucked up the courage and got closer to the crown and shield, the two objects seemingly radiating even more power and magic than before.

'Can we touch them?' Little Johnny asked as he followed at Arthur's side.

The centaur bowed in reply and Little Johnny glared at Arthur.

'Go on,' he said. 'You first. They will be yours.'

'Okay,' Arthur came back. He then breathed deeply and reached out. And as his hands drew nearer to the crown, he felt a spark which grew into a wave of pulsating energy.

With a rush, he cupped King Arthur's headdress and a jolt flooded through his arms and into the rest of his body.

'I'm feeling something strange here,' Arthur said before all of a sudden, the crown started to vibrate. Now frightened, he then shouted, 'What's going on?'

'I don't know,' Amzin came back with a look of absolute alarm. 'This has never happened before.'

'Put it down, Arthur,' screamed Little Johnny, and when Arthur did, Mr Scarlett, Miss Eustace and his great uncle came rushing into the room.

'What's all the commotion?' Mr Scarlett asked.

'I don't know,' Arthur yelled back as the crown continued to shake. 'All I did was touch it.'

Suddenly, the beams filtering through the stained-glass windows began to curve until a vortex raged between everyone.

'What's happening?' the boys yelled in unison before an image formed before them.

It was a castle.

'Camelot,' Arthur breathed.

It looked as it did in the hall, it dark and crumbling, but this time, it appeared so real.

'Could it be?' stammered Miss Eustace, gazing in awe.

'I think so,' Mr Scarlett.

'What is it?' Arthur yelled.

'The crown has shown you the way, Arthur, to its throne,' said his great uncle. 'It's a portal. A portal to Camelot. It's not lost anymore.'

'How?'

'As I told you before Arthur,' said Miss Eustace, 'a child's imagination can unlock many things.'

'So my parents could be just a step away?' asked Arthur. An urge to leap through the portal burned inside him.

Clearly realizing the boy's desire, Amzin burst out, 'Don't do it, young prince. Unprepared, it will not end well.'

'But I have to. This could be my only chance.' Arthur then felt a hand land on his shoulder. It was Little Johnny.