Chapter Twenty-Nine

Little Johnny, Merlynna and Esme watched as dozens of apparitions charged into the horde of redcaps, the chorus of evil laughter turning to frightened squeals.

'It's Robin Hood's good fellows,' bellowed Esme, as the three, plus Fury, were quick to pick up the fight again.

More stunning charms flew through the air, Little Johnny's staff batted more of the tiny beasts, the yo-yo continued its wrecking procession and black wings swatted and swatted some more. And the ghosts? Well, they were just too strong, too quick and too undead.

Then, and as if a strong wind came through and started to carry them off, the remaining redcaps began to flee.

'We did it,' Merlynna cried with a huff, as she, Little Johnny, Fury and Esme rushed to huddle together in celebration.

Putting his arms over the girls' shoulders, Little Johnny replied, 'We sure did. We fought well.'

'Indeed, you fought extremely well,' came a voice.

The children turned and saw a ghostly woman carrying a spectered wisping sword. And behind her were the other phantoms.

'Thank you,' Merlynna replied as the woman floated over. 'And thank you for coming to our rescue.'

The woman bowed, her red transparent hair falling over her lucid charming face.

'So you're the ghosts of Robin Hood's good fellows?' Little Johnny asked.

'Indeed,' the woman answered. 'My name is Marian.'

'Marian?' snapped a shocked Little Johnny and Merlynna together. 'As in Maid Marian?'

The woman smiled. 'That's correct.'

'Well, it's a pleasure to meet you,' added Little Johnny. He then introduced himself and the girls.

'It's a pleasure to meet you, too.' Marian then spied Robin's horn that Esme was carrying. 'My, my. I haven't seen that for a very long time. You know, it once called the good fellows into battle when Robin was still alive.'

'Did it really?' breathed Esme.

'Yes, and maybe it should be used for that purpose again.' Marian nodded with approval. 'Robin would have wanted such, and especially now that his forest is growing dark. So, young ones, if you ever find yourself in danger once more, sound the horn and we will come.'

Little Johnny, Merlynna and Esme were quick to thank her, talking over one another with stunned delight.

'Well, we must be off,' said Marian, 'to train as always, to keep the fire of courage and justice burning.'

'Thank you again,' said the children together.

'Before you go,' Merlynna added quickly, 'have you seen our friend? He's Robin's–' But she hadn't been fast enough. Maid Marian and the other good fellows had already vanished.

The children then stood in silence before Little Johnny eventually said, 'Come on, let's go.'

Merlynna, however, didn't move and was staring down at her hands.

'Did your magic just strengthen again?' Esme asked her.

'It did,' Merlynna replied.

'See how high you can raise the broomstick now,' said Little Johnny.

And she tried. Merlynna waved her hand and muttered the spell. The broomstick didn't wobble this time but shot up to her waist before dropping back down.

'Incredible,' said Esme. 'You'll be flying in no time.'

'Let's hope,' said Merlynna.

With that, the children and Fury started off again through the forest. But as they were nearing the Babbling Brook, they heard another disturbance.