Chapter Four

On the corner of a winding road and hidden away behind a grove of trees, the house with the red door blared like a beacon as Arthur came running up the driveway.

'Home,' he said to himself with glee, able to relax for the first time that day. Although, he did take a peek over his shoulders to make sure that strange man hadn't followed him.

The question of who he was flashed through Arthur's mind as he continued to his front step, where two garden gnomes stood like stone on either side. He then reached for the lady gnome, who was holding a bouquet of flowers, before remembering that the front door key was under the other, a gentleman gnome holding a rod hooked with a fish.

After retrieving the key, Arthur went inside, into his sanctuary. He flicked off his shoes, both almost hitting the ceiling, and threw his backpack onto the table in the hall, where he saw a note that was addressed to him.

Dear Arthur,

We've just been called away for a dig on the coast and won't be back for a couple of days. Sorry for not waiting for you before we left but it was urgent. I know you're not very fond of Miss Eustace but we asked her if she wouldn't mind coming by to check on you. I've also asked your great uncle. There's enough food in the fridge so you won't starve. See you in a bit. And don't burn down the place like you almost did the last time.

Love Mom and Dad.

Arthur groaned, wishing he could have gone with them. He had always wanted to go on an archeological dig. Instead, he had to stay behind and deal with Miss Eustace.

Disappointed, Arthur went up to his room, where he was quick to make sure nobody had broken into his home and taken his prized possessions. Although, he was quite sure nobody would steal them, for they weren't the most valuable or attractive. Well, they were valuable to him, as they had been passed down through his family, one from his mother's side and the other his father's.

With one hand, he picked up the dull boring metal shard from the bookshelf next to his bed, and with the other, the manky skeletal quill.

Yes, not the most attractive, but for Arthur it was cool knowing his ancestors had probably held them in their hands. He had once asked his parents about them but they hadn't any information to share.

After placing the shard and quill back on the shelf, Arthur went over to his desk, where he sat down and took out a pad of paper and some colored pencils. He then flipped open the pad, revealing sketches for the covers of the comics he had planned to draw and write.

On the first cover, King Arthur was fighting Morgana, an evil witch and the queen of fairies. On the second page, Robin Hood was battling the horrible and brutal Sheriff.

For an hour, Arthur colored in his sketches. And he was almost done when his stomach began to rumble.

'Time for a sandwich,' he said before going back downstairs and into the kitchen.

He had taken out the bread and a jar of peanut butter and strawberry jam, ready to make a stack of gooey goodness, when suddenly there was a knock at the front door.

Arthur jumped at the sound before crouching down behind the kitchen counter.

Could it be the strange man, he wondered? Maybe Billy?

Slowly and on all fours, he crept out of the kitchen and down the hall. And as the knocking continued, he peered through the peephole and saw a figure. But it wasn't the strange man. Or Billy. It was Miss Eustace.

Arthur quietly groaned, thinking he wouldn't be heard, but he was.

'Arthur, is that you?' said Miss Eustace in her stern voice. 'Your parents asked me to check in on you. Hopefully they told you that. If you wouldn't mind opening the door please.'