Chapter Thirty-Six

'What do we do?' yelled Little Johnny.

'I don't know,' answered Arthur, as he saw all of Robin Wood's children and creatures drawing back around him, the Shadow too strong and endless. Then taking a swipe at an ogre that had stomped onto the train from a tree and gave out the loudest roar, he had an idea. 'We need to come together. To fight shoulder to shoulder. To concentrate our strength. We need to make a last stand.'

'But where?' Merlynna huffed. 'Not on the train. I don't think it will be able to take many more ogres.'

'She's right,' Esme cried.

Indeed she was. The train had started to sway and shift. More weight and it would crash to the forest floor.

'That's why we need another bastion,' puffed Arthur.

'But there's no other place for us to go,' Esme screamed.

'Oh, yes there is,' said Arthur. 'And let's hope it works.'

'What are you talking about?' Little Johnny screeched before running off to save a young girl from the hands of Yeti and coming back.

'Just watch.' Arthur rushed over to the side of the train car, stared down at the lake and saw many of the ground-dwelling creatures backed up against its shore. Then with a deep breath, he spun around and around and tossed Pridwen down.

The shield dazzled and whirred as it fell through the air. And the very moment it splashed into the water, masts soared into the air and puffed out their sails.

'All aboard,' Arthur said, as Little Johnny and Merlynna rushed to his side.

Esme shook away the shock at what she was seeing and pulled out Robin's horn. She gave it a loud blare before yelling, 'EVERYONE RETREAT TO THE SHIP!'

As all the children and the creatures of Robin's Wood did just that, Arthur, Little Johnny and Merlynna did so too. With Esme, the three each grabbed a rope that dangled from above and leapt off the train.

Together, they swung through the trees, through branches, and all the while fighting off monsters that met them on their way.

Arthur sliced and swiped the Sword in the Stone at who-knows-how many monsters before landing on the deck of the ship with a thud and a skid. Then as he watched Nessie help unicorns and gnomes get on board, fairies and Sheriff's Men, who were led by the princess and the Deputy, made their appearance.

'ALL BOWS ON THEM!' bellowed Esme, pointing to the duo, who were now standing on the top most train car.

And as children sent tangled ropes, bees and apples at them, Arthur, Little Johnny, Merlynna, Esme and the other creatures of Robin's Wood dealt with all the other beasts who were scrambling everywhere.

Arthur felt like he was a pirate battling on the open seas as he took out an ogre, a dragon, a werewolf and a minotaur all in a matter of seconds. He heaved and ducked, thrust and clashed.

Wave after wave of monsters came and all kept at bay, but that was until the fairies and the Sheriff's Men descended on them, easily getting past the barrage thrown at them.

With a stomp and whoosh, the Deputy crashed onto the deck and the fairy princess swooped down like a bird of prey.

'GIVE US THE CROWN,' the Deputy growled.

'NOT A CHANCE!' Arthur shouted back.

'SO BE IT!' the fairy princess hissed before sending spell after spell shooting towards him.

Without the shield, Arthur was defenseless, but the fairy's magic was met with another's. The opposing spells clashed with intensity, imploding until there was nothing left.