Chapter Twenty-One

'Home is just over this,' said Esme.

Arthur had heard the raging torrent long before he saw it. And as he looked down from atop the rocky wall of the treacherous river below, he wondered how they were going to get across. He couldn't see any bridge or felled tree spanning the gap that they could use. There was nothing.

'Are we supposed to jump over or something?' asked Little Johnny, and before Esme could respond or before anyone could stop him, he took a running jump and leapt over the gap with ease. Then, and as everyone gasped in shock, he just smiled and waved.

'Whoa,' Esme burst out. 'I can't believe it. I can't believe he just did that. Nobody has ever done that before. Children have tried but failed. Even me. And I consider myself quite nimble and athletic.'

'So how are we supposed to get across?' Merlynna asked.

Esme gave her a wink before retreating over to a tree that had a tiny knot. Then after a very theatrical twirl of her finger, she pressed it.

Suddenly, creaks and groans echoed amongst the children. And before Arthur knew it, dozens of stairs made of branches descended up and down the river, pivoting out from between the trees on the other side. Down they went until all the bottom steps landed with a thud, one of them only a few feet from Arthur and Merlynna.

'Incredible,' Merlynna said.

'You can say that again,' said Arthur. 'Did you build these yourselves?'

Esme gleamed. 'We sure did.' She then grabbed Arthur and Merlynna's hands and led them up the stairs. And as all the other Children of the Forest mirrored their ascent, the three climbed and climbed until they were up high on the other side.

When they reached the top step, Little Johnny decided to make his appearance, popping out right in front and scaring them half to death.

'If I still had my mag–,' an angry Merlynna started but stopped herself.

'Sorry about that,' Little Johnny said.

Now with a grin, Esme took off and onto a maze of walkways winding through the trees.

Following behind, Arthur asked, 'Did you build all this too?'

'Yep,' Esme replied before leading the three through the labyrinth until they came to an even more impressive sight.

Perched on branches and spiraling all over was a steam engine train of green and gold, and which was surrounded by bridges, slides, ladders and rope swings.

'Welcome to the home of the Children of the Forest,' announced Esme, gesturing with her arms and hands at the wonder.

Arthur, Little Johnny and Merlynna were speechless. Well, not for long.

'How–how–how did a train get up in the trees?' Little Johnny burst out, his mouth agape.

'I couldn't tell you,' replied Esme. 'It was already here when we found it.'

'Well, it's beautiful,' Merlynna added.

'Come on, let's get you something to eat and drink,' said Esme. 'You can have a rest too and we can talk some more.'

Across another walkway they went until they came to a train car that was wrapped with flowering creepers. And inside was bunk bed after bunk bed stacked to the very top. The next train car was the same, with a few children snoring away, and so too was the one after that and the one after that.

Eventually, they came to a train car that was filled with tables set with wooden bowls and cups.

'This is where we eat,' said Esme. 'Please, make yourselves at home and I'll get you some food.'