Chapter Nine

Not that long before Little Johnny had found himself back on Mr Scarlett's carriage, Arthur was in his bedroom. The sketches strewn across his desk had all been colored and he was peering down at his darkened driveway from a window, wondering when his parents would return from their archeological dig.

It should be very soon, he thought.

The ruffle of a bush below, however, sent Arthur shutting his blinds. He was sure it was the wind that had caused it to move, for it was turning out to be a blustery night, but he just couldn't shake the strange man and his great uncle's response from his mind.

'Hmm, now did I remember to lock all the windows downstairs?' Arthur said to himself. He was sure he had but wanted to double check.

Suddenly, however, the sound of whispers flitted from behind, making him whimper. Arthur then closed his eyes before whipping around and swinging his arms as if they were made of jelly, ready to fight off whoever it was.

'Don't come any closer,' he cried, 'or I'll punch you.'

No response from his threat followed and his fists only made contact with each other. And for several seconds he kept on doing this until he tired and dropped his arms in defeat. Then slowly opening his eyes, he could see only one person standing in his bedroom and that was him. But maybe someone was hiding under his bed.

With a deep breath, Arthur got to his knees and hesitantly took a peek.

Nothing.

As he stood back up, he heard the whispering again, it sounding like the voices of a girl and boy. He couldn't make out a word but now knew where it was coming from. The shard and quill.

Arthur rubbed his eyes and shook his head in disbelief. 'I think my brain's telling me to go to sleep.'

But the whispering sounded so real.

Arthur crept towards his shelf. And although the whispering got louder, he still couldn't make out what the voices were saying.

Now staring at his prized possessions, he said, 'Hello? Is anyone there? Can you hear me? I can hear you.'

With a start, the whispering died and a dazzling light burst from the shard.

Taken by surprise, Arthur tumbled back and tripped over his bed.

'What's going on?' he shrieked before noticing the quill start to change. One moment, it was just its unremarkable self, and the next, it was a vibrant lush red feather.

Arthur was having no more of this. He bolted from his bedroom and to his parents'. And after locking the door, he leapt under their bed covers and curled up into a ball.

'What in the strangeness is going on?' he stuttered.

But the strangeness had only just begun. And it continued with the tapping of glass a short time later.

'What was that?' Arthur shrieked before slowly poking his head out and seeing nothing at the window. He then retreated back under the bed covers but more tapping followed.

Once again, Arthur poked his head out of the bed covers. This time he saw something that made him whimper anew. Outside of the window was the hooded figure he had seen standing next to the strange man outside of his school.

Were they flying?

Arthur reached to turn off his parents' bedside light, but the figure spoke, their voice wafting lazily through the glass.

'Would you mind keeping that on?' it said. 'I'd like to introduce myself.'

Arthur froze to see their cloak fall away, revealing what looked like a tiny blue-skinned woman with fluttering translucent wings. Wearing a gleaming tiara on her tea cup sized head, she smiled as brightly.