Chapter Thirty-Four

'I can't believe what I'm seeing,' Arthur howled in surprise, tilting Robin's cap to get a better look.

Before him in the trees surrounding the train and below on the forest floor were countless creatures of Robin's Wood. Esme and the rest of the Children of the Forest had found allies. And they were all hard at work.

Arthur saw unicorns pulling logs, phoenixes flying through branches with nets in their beaks, fluttering pixies building more bridges and ladders, and much more. He also saw gnomes digging traps and covering them with twigs and leaves, making him think about Bitty and Dolores.

And as the children got closer, another surprise was waiting. The ground opened up into a blossoming and ever growing lake, which too teemed with mythical creatures.

'Oh, wow,' breathed Merlynna. 'I see selkies, kelpies–'

'But how?' interrupted Little Johnny. 'How did they do this?'

Suddenly, Esme dropped down from a branch up above.

'Good to see you back,' she said in relief before giving the three bone crunching hugs. 'We got your message and we're working overtime to get this place ready to defend, ready for the Shadow's attack.'

'Yes, I can see,' said Arthur. 'Impressive.'

'And hopefully, it will all be finished before they come.'

'How did you do this?' Merlynna asked Esme before seeing Fury fly by carrying a ball of mud and off towards a line of them perched on one of the train cars. 'How is there now a lake where there wasn't?'

'All the water creatures you see here made it,' Esme replied. 'Using the well, the water, they flooded the place. The mermaids were the first to help.'

'The mermaids?' Merlynna burst out. 'You found them?'

'We sure did.'

'And Nixie?'

Esme gestured over to the far side of the newly made lake. The mermaids and Nixie were there. Like glistening busy beavers, they were building dams of logs supplied to them by the unicorns.

Merlynna smiled and so did Arthur and Little Johnny. It was good to see they were still alive.

'Now,' said Esme, 'what on earth are you lot carrying?'

Looking down at the bows in his hands, Arthur answered, 'Weapons.'

'Where'd you get them? And where'd you get that cap, Arthur? You look like Robin Hood himself.'

Arthur told her everything. About finding Robin's Lair, the ghosts and what the bows were capable of.

Pleased to hear that Robin's horn would call Maid Marian and the rest of the good fellows once again, Esme nodded to the bows and said, 'I'll get someone to hand them out to the children.'

'Great–'

Just then, and with the most crashing of crashes, out from the water came a monstrous beast. Its long, thick neck rocketed into the air, sending waves rushing out and over the children, wetting them through and through.

Thinking it was a leviathan, Arthur, Little Johnny and Merlynna shrieked in horror and recoiled back ,ready to do their worst, but. . . .

'Nessie!' yelled Esme, wiping her soaking face. 'You really need to stop doing that. There won't be any water left otherwise. And you really need to keep watch on the well at all times. We don't want any horrible monsters to sneak in here.'

With an echoing groan, the beast disappeared back below the surface of the lake.

Esme then turned to Arthur, Little Johnny and Merlynna, 'Sorry about that. I keep on telling her.'