The Difference people have from Perfection

- "Hmm... Well, Ayanokouji-kun, you have piqued my interest. Alright, what's your question and your favor?"

"You might find it strange that I'm asking you this... but do you have any contact with an investor of my father's?"

I could hear a slight sound of surprise coming from Director Sakayanagi. - "Well... Yes, I do have one. But why do you want to know?"

"If possible, I prefer not to answer your question, Director Sakayanagi. It's a matter that I can only discuss with that investor."

There was silence on the other end of the call, until seconds later, Director Sakayanagi spoke.

"Do you know what you're asking of me, Ayanokouji-kun?"

"Yes. I know it very well." I paused for a moment, thinking about the next words I would say. "But I want to resolve my issue as quickly as possible. Can you do me that favor?"

"I guess the matter you mentioned must be very important for you to personally contact one of your father's investors and break the school rules."

"Yes. It can be said that it is."

Another silence fell at that moment. This one was longer than the previous one. At this moment Director Sakayanagi must be thinking about why I wanted to contact one of my father's investors, and if he should help me, considering the situation he was in. I would understand if he didn't give me the contact information.

What he will say next will change my future at this school and my actions from now on, for better or for worse. "I just ask that you don't ask me for more favors, okay, Ayanokouji-kun? Take responsibility for what might cause this."

I sighed in relief at his words.

"I promise. Thank you and I'm sorry for dragging you into my problems, Director Sakayanagi." "Don't worry. Look, when she asks where you got his number, tell her my name. She's trustworthy, and I highly doubt she'll get me into more trouble, okay?"

"Okay."

Step 1: Completed

Three minutes had passed since Director Sakayanagi hung up the call to find the investor's number, and now, I had the investor's number on my cellphone. I pressed the button to dial, starting the typical dialing sound. I doubted there would be a problem with the time of my call since it was daylight where he was, so he should answer.

Besides, the number he gave me was one that only a few people knew, which, according to Sakayanagi, was for handling matters about the White Room, so when he sees a number not registered in his cell, he will answer to know the identity of the person and how I got his number.

The investor, Eva, was the most important investor my father had, and she was a woman living in the United States, which made it a bit easier for me.

After several rings, the call was finally answered. Considering the time, I suppose she was thinking about whether to answer or not. Or maybe she was doing something else.

At the moment she answered the call, I could hear relaxing music in the background, as well as the sound of small droplets of water.

- "Hello?"

Her tone of voice was not what I expected. Her tone was curious, yet a bit playful and calm rather than serious, as I had anticipated.