Chapter no.2 Death

Nie Li slowly got up, his jaw throbbing with pain.

He looked around and found himself in a frozen, broken-down hallway.

The walls and ceiling looked like they had given way a long time ago, leaving sharp icicles hanging dangerously above him.

As the memories flooded back, Nie Li's heart sank.

The image of Lu Piao, his best friend, sacrificing himself so Nie Li could escape, hit him like a ton of bricks.

He fell to his knees, unable to hold back the wave of emotion.

"Lu Piao..." he whispered, his voice breaking.

Nie Li wasn't the type to cry easily, but at that moment, tears streamed down his face, mixing with the snot from his nose as he sobbed uncontrollably.

He wasn't thinking about revenge or fighting back.

He wasn't planning his next move.

All he could think about was the loss of his friend, the person who had always been by his side, now gone forever.

"Please, someone, anyone, save us," he pleaded between sobs, though he knew no one could hear him.

"Please save Lu Piao," he cried out, even though he knew it was too late.

The roars of the monsters outside seemed louder now, as if mocking his pain.

He covered his ears, trying to block out the sound, but it was no use.

The fear was overwhelming, paralyzing.

He felt so alone, so helpless.

In his mind, he kept replaying that last moment with Lu Piao, wondering if there was anything he could have done differently.

Nie Li wished he could be brave, wished he could stand up and fight in Lu Piao's memory, but he couldn't even lift his head from the ground.

He felt weak, useless, a failure.

"I'm sorry, Lu Piao. I'm so, so sorry," he whispered, his voice lost in the vast, empty hall.

As Nie Li limped through the demolished hall, he saw the devastation wrought by the monsters.

The shelter, a supposed haven, had collapsed.

Nie Li moved forward, driven by the faint hope that these tunnels might lead him out of Glory City.

Despite his despair, survival instinct pushed him onward.

With each step, he tried to ignore the chilling sensation of blood pooling around his ankles.

The commoners, who had believed in the safety of the shelter, had died in vain. It struck Nie Li that they were all "like lambs to the slaughter," utterly defenseless and betrayed by the very city they called home.

As he trudged through the ruins, Nie Li's mind was a whirlwind of dark thoughts.

Did the nobles even bother to fight for Glory City?

The more he thought about it, the more he doubted their intentions.

It seemed to him that the nobles might have used their power not to protect, but to escape, leaving everyone else behind to face their doom.

Was our faith in the city's defenses just a joke?

The realization that they might have been nothing more than pawns in a larger game made his blood boil.

Perhaps we were all just naive, thinking that someone would come to save us.

Nie Li couldn't help but think about Lu Piao and the sacrifices he had made.