•chapter 1•

The constant shuddering inside the hangar of the Tantive IV sounded and felt like home to you. You have been aboard the Tantive IV for almost a year, and have been recruited as one of their lead pilots for one of their fighter jets. You have been out on various missions since you started six months ago, rescuing many civilians from planets that were destroyed or taken over by The First Order.

You felt incredibly privileged to be part of The Resistance, and you felt proud to be known as one of the leading pilots for the ship, even though you had only been flying for six months or so.

You peered around the hangar, observing the countless numbers of engineers and aircraft mechanics, other pilots and crew members. The bright hue of the LEDs surrounding the hangar reflected in the black metallic tiles of the base, specks of white flickering in the light.

As you begin to make your way down the small flight of stairs to head towards your fighter jet, you heard your name come from behind you. You grasp the metal railing and turn on your heels, your polished boots squeaking on the tiles as you do so.

You peered up at the small kind face of Princess Leia, her black robe hanging off her small shoulders and draping behind her. "I don't think it'll be wise for you to go out today," her voice was soft. "I've had reports that it's quite," she looked down at her feet, "chaotic."

You make your way back up the stairs to be able to talk to her on the same level, to show her the respect she deserves.

"I understand, princess,' you swallowed, "but it's my job, it's what you hired me to do and you know I'm capable," you smiled down at her, with her old age she was beginning to shrink. "Besides," you look back at the pilots gearing up to take off, "without me, these pilots would be lost."

She lets out a small laugh, but you could tell she was still unsure about you heading out to Ajan Kloss. "I just don't want anything bad happening, especially to you. I think we should sit this one out."

"Princess," you give her another warm smile before placing your hand on her shoulder. "I understand your concern. But, I want to do this. There's too many on Ajan Kloss that need our help." you peer into her dark, tired eyes. A weary smile plasters her face as she reaches her frail hand up to your cheek, rubbing her thumb as she did so.

"Please come back to me," her voice was soft and unsure, "and if you see him, do everything you can to get away."

You nod your head before pulling away. "I'll see you tomorrow, Leia," you smiled before making your way back down the flight of stairs, and marching over to the fighter jet.

As you make your way up the small set of boarding stairs, you pull on your helmet, adjusting the visor over your eyes. You sit down in the chair, plugging yourself in and flipping the switch to start the engines. The engines roar to life, the blue glow emitting from the sides of the ship as it powers on.

The crew that work in the hangar shut you inside your jet, and as you hear the door click shut, you peer outside the window. Princess Leia was still standing in the same spot you had left her, and she was still watching you as you lifted the lever to bring the jet up, hovering above the ground now.

You smile at her one last time and raise your hand to wave to her, before you slowly make your way out of the hangar, the other ten jets following close behind.

+++

As you finally enter the atmosphere of Ajan Kloss, you heard your work friend, Jackson over the radio.

"Do we know how many are out here?" The static was unbelievably bad.

You press the radio button on your console, before looking out your window to your right to Jackson's jet. "No, but from my understanding, there's quite a few and it's chaos down there."

You and the other trailing pilots head down towards canopies, the lush greenery making it hard to determine where the civilians were located.

You decide to lead the pilots to a clearing to be able to land safely, but before you could radio to the others, a flash of red shot up from the trees, nearly hitting the side of your ship. You quickly reach down to the radio button. "Everyone, we're being attacked from below, disperse and try and find where the sources are coming from-"

A loud crash was heard from beside you as you saw an explosion of flames and smoke billowing from one of the jets, it was one of the newbies. You pulled the lever up to quickly ascend out of danger. You looked down to see the jet crash through the thick canopy, exploding into shrapnel. Your heart sunk as more and more red beams of lasers shout out of the canopy.

You had no idea what was shooting at you and you did not want to risk shooting into the canopy and killing innocent civilians.

"Jackson we need to land these ships and get in there," you barked before accelerating the jet towards the clearance, dodging the laser beams that continuously shot out from the canopy.

"Alright, I'm on it," he responds before he quickly descends to the clearance, followed by the other remaining pilots and their jets.

As you press the lever down to descend with the crew, you were jerked forward and the dash of the jet went black. You managed to look out the window and saw black smoke billowing out of one of the engines.

Shit.

You tried to aim the jet to an area to land safely but you were still in the middle of vast canopies.

Your heart was racing and your palms were sweating profusely as you tried to complete an emergency landing in the middle of a dense forest, you knew your chances were pretty slim when it comes to a destroyed engine, but Jackson has taught you all you knew.

You swallow and push the lever down, sending the jet plummeting towards the canopy before quickly pulling it back up to try and slow it down and lower the impact, but you were descending way to quickly to be able to adjust the jets propulsion.

Another laser hit the side of the ship which lurched you forward, you face hitting the dash with an almighty thump. Your eyes watered as you felt the warm liquid start to pour from your nose, blood splattering on your dark grey trousers.

As you continued your descent to the canopy you caught a glimpse of a small group of civilians all crowded under and overhang of trees and shrubs. The loud screeches and buzzes of the jet were ringing in your ears and the smell of the toxic smoke burned your lungs.

Before you could attempt to adjust the speed of the jet, it crashed through the top layer of the canopy, branches and leaves smashing against the window and cracking the glass.

You couldn't help but shut your eyes and let out a yelp as the ship crashed into the ground, before sliding nearly two hundred meters from where you spotted the civilians.

The wing of the jet dug into the forest floor, causing the ship to quickly flip and roll, throwing you around the cockpit like a ragdoll. You tasted the blood leaking from your nose and as the ship hurdled to a stop, a large log was hurdled through the windscreen and before you could comprehend what was happening, everything went black.