Chapter 61 - Kanae POV

Kanae POV

It was cold, I could feel my body numbing and my consciousness slowly slipping away. I'm dying am I? I once heard that upon your death you'd be able to see flashes of your life.

I can safely say it was true as I could clearly remember my youth when everything was simple. The time when my parents were helping people was the time me and my sister were truly happy.

We lived a peaceful, privileged life with our wealthy and loving parents, who continuously doted on and cared for us. Growing up wanting for nothing, the two of us were content with our simple life together.

However, this all came crashing down when a demon attacked their home. Our parents tried to protect us but were slaughtered before their daughters' eyes. We were supposed to be next and I tried my best to protect my sister, but fortunately, we were saved by the timely arrival of Gyomei Himejima, who killed the demon immediately before it could kill either of them.

We never expect that life could be taken and trampled upon when given the opportunity. I thought at that moment our life would end but once we were saved I knew that I had to join the group in order to protect my sister who is the only family I have.

Working hard and acquiring the skills to reach into becoming one of the strongest demon slayers in hope that I finish this meaningless fight and save those demons who I know we're in torment.

I've been told that they were once human that went astray in life and I wanted to save them from their suffering. I thought I would be the one to stop the reign of Muzan Kibutsuji but it's too late.

Once I faced the Upper Moon rank two I knew that death was the result if I fought these people. I wasn't afraid of dying but worried about my sister being killed by this monster.

"I heard that the Hashira are strong individual….I wonder what you taste like?"

A young man with rainbow colored eyes that contain the character of Six in both irises. My quiver just stared at him but stood firm, readying myself to fight this monster in order to protect Shinobu-chan.

The Demon only had a playful smile looking at them as nothing more than food which made me livid. How can something exist in this world?

"That expression! I like that face!! From the amount of women I've eaten, you're the only one who looks at me that way!"

It infuriated me how carefree he was. I knew deep inside my heart that fighting him was impossible. I turned my attention to Shinobu-san who was quivering in fear. She looked at me before I gave reassuring smile knowing I would die to save her.

"Shinobu-chan, I'll try to hold him off while you run and save yourself. Don't worry I'll make sure to return to you."

I lied to my sister and saw her expression distort into full dread. I'm afraid that upon my death she would change and try to get vengeance which I don't want.

My sister isn't suited to fighting due to her weak body and afraid she'll die before she kills a weakest demon. I have to survive this and avoid her from taking revenge.

"Oh how touching! Well then I'm sorry to ruin your fun but I was given a task and it would be bad if I don't fulfil it."

"Shinobu go!!"

I screamed as the demon moved in blinding speed that I barely deflected with my sword. I wasted no time and took a deep breath before unleashing several rotating sword slashes deflecting the incoming attack.

[ Second Form - Honorable Shadow Plum (
( Ni no kata: Mikage Ume ). ]

Thus slightly pushing back the demon, then I turn to see Shinobu having a pained expression. I only gave a warm smile while slowly nodding as I could her eyes welled up and ran as far as fast she could.