Chapter Four

The  weeks after graduation had begun to run into one another, and I  continued to seek the solace of the forest while the other women in the  group began the canning process for the winter. I tucked away enough  books in the large oak tree's hollow a few feet off of the ground to  last a few months, but as I began writing I found I couldn't stop. My  imagination ran wild with the way things must have really been in the  past, and most of all, they rushed to a future I would never see. I  swallowed as I thought of the stories I had written in those forbidden  pages. They were the only thing keeping my sanity as I wondered in  suspicion what everyone was doing that I had suddenly become invisible. I  wasn't sure I really minded either.

I looked up at Trevor with a smile. He hadn't  questioned what I had been doing because I always made sure I was home  before everyone else and that I had dinner ready for them.

"You all set?" I asked as he picked up the last piece of bacon and swallowed it.

"Thanks, babe," he replied as I took his dish and mine.

The rest of the group had already siphoned out the  room as Trevor took his time eating. He usually ate his food within  moments of me placing it in front of him, but today had been different.

"I'm going to try to get out early today, okay?" he said to my back as I headed to the sink.

Early from what? I didn't know, and I hadn't bothered to ask. I knew he wouldn't tell me anyways.

"It's fine, don't worry about me," I said as I dropped the dishes into the soapy water to soak.

He wrapped his arms around me and tucked his chin in my shoulder.

"I think we could use some," his tone lowered; "alone time."

I stiffened at the suggestion, and then replied with an "Hmm."

I tried to tell myself I was okay with this odd  relationship I somehow found myself trapped in. I smiled, and he kissed  me on the cheek before letting his hands run over the bare skin of my  arms and slipping away. I listened to his footsteps until I heard the  door close. I released the breath I had been holding and felt my muscles  relax. I hadn't realized how much I enjoyed being alone until just  then.

"You're lucky, you know that?" Sara said, and I jumped, turning with my hands on my throat.

"What?" I asked as I hid my trembling hands in my pockets. I didn't know she stayed back, and I wasn't sure why she had.

"To have someone like Trevor fawning all over you,"  Sara said as she picked up the dish cloth and waited for me to begin  washing the dishes.

"Yeah," I said as I turned to the sink.

"I mean it's not like anyone else can ignore your behavior," she said, looking at me from the corner of her eye.

I pursed my lips as my pulse spiked, but I ignored the comment and kept washing the dishes.

"So, you want to go and sit in the sun once we're done?" Sara asked, nudging me in the ribs. "It's really nice out right now."

I nodded. "Why not—I could always use a better tan. I'm sure Trev would like that."

I watched as her jaw went slack, and she rubbed the dish she was drying a bit too hard.

"Sara?"

"Yes?"

"Do you have a thing for Trevor?"

The look on her face was quickly replaced with a blank stare.

"Not at all. He's your boyfriend. Father has had you guys matched up since you were both born."

"Yeah, I'm sure Father was the one who convinced him to come after me," I said. "Seeing no one else can stand me."