Chapter 46

It was halfway through January, and the winter air had already begun to break. The past few days had been unseasonably warm and the sun melted the snow until the ground was just a messy sludge that was unbearable to run in. Despite this, the men started training outside again, coming back in the evening covered head to toe in mud.

"Nice," I said as Hunter came in the door, dripping mud onto the floor. I came forward with a towel to wipe up the floor. "At least they're hardwoods."

"Thanks," Hunter said, reaching for the towel.

"Not for you!" I replied as I pulled it to my chest and shook my head.

He narrowed his eyes at me, a smile twitching at the corner of his lips.

"Hunter..." I began as my pulse quickened at the look. He was thinking something, and I was not going to like it.

"If I can't have it—"

I dodged his grabbing hands, but he predicted the move and smothered me into his muddy arms.

"You ass!" I gasped, smacking him back with the towel as he rubbed his body over mine. "You ass!"

"Speaking of which," he growled, and his hands slipped down my back to grasp me. His brow raised, and he buried his head in my neck, kissing me.

"This is so not sexy!" I shot back, but I wasn't fighting him anymore, and the exhale of pleasure left my lips before I could contain it.

His mouth trailed up to my ear, and he ran his soft lips over my earlobe as he whispered, "Are you sure?"

My body trembled beneath him, and I felt his mouth turn into a devious smile against my tilted neck.

"That's what I was looking for," he commented.

I pulled away, and threw the towel at him as his eyes widened in fake innocence.

"Dinner's ready," I replied as I nodded over my shoulder.

"I was looking forward to dessert." Hunter winked at me before his stomach growled.

I pursed my lips at him as my hands settled on my hips.

"Fine," he replied. "Let's eat."

When his back was turned I took a deep breath to settle my burning nerves. I had to take another as my eyes drifted down the muscles moving beneath his tight black shirt to his ass. My blood rushed to my head before I shook it and followed Hunter in to sit at my plate of food.

"How was training today?" I asked as I glanced behind him and noticed the trail of mud leading into the kitchen. I missed it in my attempt to contain my urge to jump him. I bit my lip, and Hunter gave me a smile that let me know he could tell what I was thinking.

"Muddy."

I narrowed my eyes as him as I spun my spaghetti around the fork.

"This is good," Hunter commented through a mouthful.

"I'm glad you like it," I replied before taking my own bite. "It took a few tries with the pasta. One of the other cooks showed me once or twice how to make it back home, but I never really mastered it."

"Tastes like you have now," Hunter said, but the mention of my old home sucked all the air from the room. We both continued eating in awkward silence.

Finally, Hunter spoke, "I was thinking I should train you on using knives."

"Knives?" I asked as I stood and took our plates to the sink. I began washing them and Hunter stood just inches away from me with his ass resting against the counter, and his arms crossed across his chest.