Chapter 36

I pulled my knees to my chest as my muscles tightened at the sound of Amy's spiteful laughter. I closed my eyes quickly to compose myself against the negativity filling my body. Oh, and the urge to get up and throttle her! My jaw clenched uncomfortably tight as her laughter reached me again. I didn't even want to know what she was talking about.

It was probably me.

When I opened my eyes Mara was looking at me with an amused half-smile, but it quickly vanished and her blue eyes darted away.

I scooted across the couch so I was close enough to lean over and whisper, "Is something wrong?"

She turned to face me, shaking her head. "No, of course not. I was just thinking."

"About?" I pushed, offering her a kind smile.

She put her hand on my knee, and her chest rose as she took a deep breath. "If only I could tell you."

I nodded, understanding. "The secrets that bond us tear us apart."

Her lip was drawn into her mouth as she ran her teeth over it. "We've been here a long time. It wears on you."

I looked around the room, my eyes stopping at Amy with her posse of ill-mannered women. Amy's gaze landed on us, and she whispered something to the woman beside her. The woman's eyes widened as she responded, and Amy tipped her head back in an over exaggerated laugh. I swallowed as my eyes fell back to Mara.

"I can see how that could happen. How long have you been here?"

Mara leaned her head back against the couch as she thought. "Since 2031."

"And you came with Rob?"

She gave a stiff nod, and I wondered how far I could push.

"How long have you known him?"

"Twenty years," she replied, and her eyes widened as she looked at me.

"Twenty years? How old are you?" I asked, looking her over. She didn't appear much older than me, but she had to be at least thirty five.thirty five.

"Age is a useless number here, Kate," Mara reminded me, and her eyes raced over mine as her lip twitched into an uneasy smile.

I nodded. "Still makes me feel like a baby!"

Mara let out a breath. "You kind of are!"

I nudged her with my elbow. "Hey!"

My body relaxed as the background noise of the bitches subsided with our conversation.

"So what did you used to do at your old home?" Mara asked, tilting her head at me.

She had slipped me information accidentally, and I played the words over in my head carefully as I determined what I should and shouldn't say. I knew I wouldn't reveal her secret, but I couldn't be sure she wouldn't reveal all of mine.

She already knew I loved Hunter, but then again, I knew she actually loved Rob, too.

"Fight with my father, my sister or my mother," I replied, rolling my eyes.

"About what?" she asked as she pulled her knees to her chin and rested her head there.

I picked at the lacing of the couch as my stomach rolled at the memories. I felt my pulse rising as I thought of them.

I shrugged keeping my eyes on the couch's contours. "Nothing in particular."

Mara scoffed, and I looked up to see her eyes narrowed on me. "Forgive me for saying this, but bullshit! You aren't the kind to fight over nothing."