Chapter 42

Two days later, and I found out exactly what Mara meant. When I woke Hunter was already in his jeans and slipping on his typical black shirt.

"It's New Year's Eve!" I huffed as I sat up. "Do you really have to train today, too?"

Hunter turned, his eyebrows rising as he dragged his teeth over his lower lip.

"Not at all," Hunter replied, and I shook my head in wonder at his reaction.

My breath hitched as his lips twisted into a diabolical smirk.

"What are you up to?" I asked as I shot out of bed to tackle him.

"Whoa, now!" Mara said as she opened the door to see me wrapping my legs around Hunter as I tried to push him to the ground.

"Again," Hunter whispered into my ear. "You shouldn't try to seduce the enemy when you tackle them."

I dropped my feet to the ground, crossing my arms as I tucked my chin in.

"Mara is here to keep you company," Hunter explained as he slipped out the door, and she slipped in.

They were working together to block my exit. Jerks.

"Keep me company? Why can't I go downstairs?" I asked as Hunter looked at me through a crack in the door. He gave me one wink before shutting it.

Mara moved past me and flopped on the bed.

"This bed is way nicer than ours," she said, looking up at the ceiling with a smile that matched Hunter's.

"This really isn't fair," I grumbled as I began to pace the room with my fingernail stuck in the corner of my mouth as my heartbeat raged inside my chest.

What was he up to, and why did he have to be so damn secretive about it? The whole idea made my stomach lurch, and I stepped into the kitchen to boil water for tea. When I looked up Mara was standing in the doorframe.

"Care for some?" I asked with a nod to my now steaming cup.

"Sure," she replied, coming to sit at the table.

I poured her a cup and joined her.

"Thanks," she said with a nod before taking a sip. "So..." She traced the grain of the wood table. "Do you really hate Christmas?"

"Not at all," I replied as I tapped my fingers against the ceramic glass. "I might after having to see Hunter's father again, though."

"Then what was the whole deal with the tree?" Mara asked, lifting her cup to her lips as she looked at me in utter-fake innocence.

I sighed. "It's my birthday soon is all—it just hit me strange. Everyone probably thought I was nuts when I ran out of the room like that."

Mara's lips twitched and she shook her head. "Not at all!" She let the words glide off her tongue, and I knew she was being facetious.

"When is the big B-Day?"

"Today."

"What?" she asked, her eyes widening. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"You didn't ask sooner why I was upset!"

"We really haven't had any privacy lately; otherwise, you know I would've asked. I'm nosey like that!" Mara replied with her smile reaching her eyes.

"I'm starting to see that!"

"So what's such a big deal that Hunter has me locked up here with you?"

"I've not a clue," she replied before taking the last sip of her tea and standing to place the cup in the sink.

She turned to look at me, and I stood, pursing my lips.