Chapter 44

When I opened my eyes I was wrapped tightly in Hunter's arms, and his comforting scent wafted over me as I looked up at his sleeping face. It felt as though something inside me had changed, and I didn't feel any apprehension as I leaned up and kissed his lips. His eyes fluttered open, and his perfect lips formed an irresistible smile.

"Hi there," Hunter's voice was graveled from singing the whole night.

"Did you sleep well?" I asked.

"I always do when you're next to me."

I shook my head as I sat up, and the sheets fell down to pool at my waist. Hunter leaned up on one arm, his fingertips traveling up my bare spine as he looked up at me, his eyes troubled.

I ran my fingers over his scruff. "Are you okay?"

"Of course," he replied as he closed his eyes against my touch.

"Alright, well, I'm going to go take a shower?"

"Sounds good," Hunter replied as I slipped out of the bed, looking over my shoulder at him with narrowed eyes. He sat rubbing his lip with his thumb, and shot me a smile when he saw I was staring.

When I came out of the bathroom he was sitting on the edge of the bed in his boxer briefs with his hands tangled in his hair.

"I know you're not okay," I whispered as my voice cracked.

I knew it had to do with whatever his father had told or ordered him to do if he found out I was Kate Ericson. I felt my throat closing up as I stared down at him, my hands in tight fists at my side. Hunter's gaze slowly rose to mine, and I noticed the dark circles under his eyes as he ran his hand through his hair, yanking it at the back of his head. His five o'clock shadow that usually made him look sexy now made him look weary as it combined with the look in his eyes. He shook his head.

I walked forward placing my hands on his shoulders, and his head slipped into my arms. He trembled against me.

"I'm not used to this feeling." Hunter turned his face up to me. "The feeling of being out of control."

"You get used to it," I replied, and the corner of his eyes wrinkled as a small smile crept onto his face.

"Are you ready?" he asked, standing and grabbing his pants off the loveseat.

I ran my hand over my forehead as the numbness spread through my limbs, tingling in uncomfortable unison.

"When do we have to do this?" I asked as he slipped his shirt on and yanked on its hem unnecessarily hard.

The room seemed to heat with the impending doom hanging over us as his eyes met mine. A knock came on the front door.

"Now," Hunter replied.

"You weren't joking when you said there wasn't any time to prepare."

Hunter's fists clenched and unclenched before I moved to the door to open it.

"I really hate my father," he said under his breath.

That made two of us.

"Come in," I said as I stepped back so the man could come into the room.

Just like the doctor he looked around the room, eyes rushing over nothing in particular, and his chest rose up and down in suppressed panic. When his eyes fell on Hunter he froze, his throat rising and falling before he stared down at his feet.

The man was short and stocky, obviously built for fighting, but his cowardice made me wonder how he could be one of Allan's top men.

Maybe Hunter just had that effect on everyone.