Chapter 29

It was times like these when the waiting would kill me. My mind couldn't stand still for a moment's time, and I felt as if my eyes were unbearably wide open to my past. I couldn't keep my mind on the words of the book in front of me. They just read as jumbled letters; just as jumbled as my thoughts. I found myself standing by the window staring at the gray sky while I wondered what Hunter was doing out there in the forest, and what kind of torture he was submitting himself to under his father's orders. I shivered as I watched my breath frost the window in front of me. I kept thinking about the fact Hunter was training me to defend myself against God only knew what. Who would be sent after me next, and would we escape in time to avoid it? I heaved a sigh as I glanced down at the clock on the iTouch. It was only twelve. I looked back out the window; the gray sky was saying snow without actually showing it.

"Hey there," Mara said as she came in the door and made me jump, throwing the book I held to my heart across the room. "Whoa, I didn't think I'd scare you that much!"

One of her blonde eyebrows rose in suspicion before she shrugged and gave me a smile.

"I was thinking," I shot back as I picked up the book. "I know that's a scary thought."

"No need to get nasty with me!" Mara reached for the book and took it from my hands. "What you reading? Antony and Cleopatra?"

"Shakespeare."

"I know," she replied.

"Right."

She handed me the book back as she nodded over her shoulder. "You want to come down and watch a movie with us?"

"I'm fine."

"You look upset," she said, cocking her head at me. "And it's going to be hours before Hunter and the boys come in—that is unless it snows." She stepped next to me and looked out the window. "When I can't stand the TV anymore I disappear too—except I just go to our bedroom and watch the ceiling."

"You seem to be the only one who doesn't hate their husband," I said, putting my head against the cool glass as I stared across the woods searching for Hunter.

"Maybe I am," she replied, her voice as flat as the expression on her face. "But don't let the others know I do, and I won't let them know you love Hunter."

Our eyes locked and her smile was sincere and sad.

"I..." I stuttered, shaking my head as the room blurred. "I never said that."

"You didn't have to." She shrugged. "Movie?"

"No, I think I'm going to get some stuff from the store and the kitchen. Maybe I'll make a batch of cookies or something," I replied as I pulled the book to my chest.

"We just got a shipment of winter clothes in, so you should probably hop on that before the other girls discover it," Mara suggested before winking and turning to walk out the door.

I stood there for several minutes staring at the door she left through.

Love – a word I only ever imagined.

Something I never felt before.

I squeezed my eyes shut and took a breath before shaking my head and placing the book on the chaise. I needed a distraction, and the store and kitchen was a good one. When I finally moved out onto the porch that let up to Hunter's apartment the sky had already opened up and coated the ground with two inches of snow.

I breathed in the cool air, letting it sting inside my lungs before exhaling it out in a warm puff. Hunter would be home soon if it continued like this.