Chapter 11

"Hey, sleepy head," I said as I looked down at Hunter rolling over and rubbing his eyes.

"You like those things don't you?" Hunter asked, nodding to the toaster pastry I was warming over the fire.

I bit off a piece and smiled. "Mhmm...toasty."

"How's your tongue feeling right now?" Hunter teased as he shook his head at me.

"Burnt," I replied through the mouthful I was trying to swallow.

"Is that one for me?"

"Of course, you cook dinner, I cook breakfast," I replied, handing it to him.

"Unwrapping it from the wax paper must've been a real challenge for you," he joked as he took a bite and smiled with his cheeks full.

"I'll have you know I was destined to be a Cook, not a Gatherer," I replied, sticking my chin out as if it was something to be proud of.

It wasn't.

"I'm sure you're a very talented cook. I can't wait to see what you can do with all the food we have at the base," he said, touching my shoulder and sending shivers down my spine. I didn't want to turn and look into his eyes, because I felt if I did I might get lost in their depths.

"You know I was joking right?" he asked, his tone serious.

Ah, what the hell.

"Yeah, of course," I said as I looked over my shoulder at him. "I know you know I can outwit you any day."

He stood brushing off his jeans and held out his hand to me. "Now, I'm not so sure about that one."

"Thanks," I said with a huff.

"But we do make a good team," he commented, and his eyes showed he was sincere. "I just need to teach you a few life and death skills that don't involve hiding in trees. I have a feeling that trick won't work for much longer."

"You think someone else is tracking us?" I asked, looking around me and hugging my arms to my body.

"I just think someone might be looking for you, whether or not you think they would," he replied, watching for my reaction.

"I'm not going back either way," I said with my eyes locked on his.

"I'm not letting you. I need to see what food you can cook. The women at the base...well, they don't really do much besides watch DVDs and bitch about the soldiers," Hunter explained with a shake of his head.

"They aren't assigned a duty?" I asked as Hunter kicked dirt over the fire.

Hunter stopped moving and scratched behind his ear. "They do serve a purpose."

I narrowed my eyes at him, and he grimaced.

"What are they like sex kittens?" I asked, choking as I laughed at his wide eyes.

"They satisfy their needs," he replied with a shrug, his eyes looking through the forest in an attempt to avoid mine.

My stomach rolled as I thought over what I planned to say next. I wasn't sure I'd like the answer, but I had to know.

"Who satisfies you?" I asked as I stood, looking at him through the corner of my eyes as I pretended to be looking down at my shirt as I pulled down the hem.

Hunter pressed his eyelids shut before he shook his head.

"No one," he answered.

I kept the sigh of relief in.

"That's right, you do have a hand," I teased, smirking at him as his eyes lids released, and he stared at me with his neck red beneath his now beardlike stubble.

He burst out laughing, shaking his head.

"Right," he muttered, more to himself than me.

I nudged him. "Awkward moment over, what's today's plan? It looks like that storm is moving in now."

He tilted his head to the sky.

"I think you're right. Luckily, there's a safe house about five miles from here. We should be able to get there before it starts to downpour, and tonight we can sleep in real beds."

I swallowed before giving him a fake smile. I was used to his body next to mine while I slept, and I realized as we began to jog that I found myself favoring the hard ground over a soft bed alone. For the first time in my life, I found myself craving someone. I'd never truly craved Trevor. I had wanted to, but now I realized what it felt like to truly want the security of someone's arms. A shiver traveled up my spine as Hunter glanced over at me. His eyes surged through me before he looked forward again.

Was I having the same effect on him?

Hunter's hand found mine and our finger's intertwined.