Chapter 22

I could feel every muscle in my body screaming out in protest as I rolled over in the bed. Training with Hunter was hard, but I was doing my best to keep up with him. He seemed genuinely impressed with what I could do, and for the first time I didn't feel like I couldn't walk in a straight line without getting hurt. Hunter was encouraging even when I did something stupid, or fell straight on my ass, which was often. He kept a firm military face when he chastised me, but the shine in his eyes showed his amusement. When I opened my eyes and looked up Hunter was putting on his boots. I could tell he had already put on his emotionless façade in preparation for his meeting with his father. I tried to smile at him, but I knew it came out in a grimace as I felt the fear boiling up inside my stomach.

"Good luck," I finally managed to choke out.

"I'll need it with my father."

"It'll be fine," I said as I squeezed his knee with my hand before sitting up and pulling my knees to my chest.

I wanted to believe the words too, but Hunter's silence told me he disagreed.

"I'm just afraid of what I might hear," he said, running his hands through his hair.

"Do you want me to stay in here all day?"

"These guys can't keep their mouths shut. I have no doubt he already knows you're here, so there's no reason to trap you in the bedroom all day," he answered, stretching his arms back and then standing.

"Should I make dinner for three?"

"That's a good idea—suck up to him with your great cooking. I like it! Use the main kitchen, and we can eat in the private dining hall."

I blinked at him as I thought over the words private dining hall. It really shouldn't have surprised me.

"Chicken parm with garlic bread?" I suggested.

"You're going to make me fat!" Hunter replied as he patted his perfectly toned stomach.

"Yeah, I might believe that if I hadn't seen you with your shirt off," I shot back, rolling my eyes.

He lifted his shirt half up and cocked his head at me. "I think I'm getting fat."

I stared at him with one eyebrow raised as I took in the distinct shape of his hips against his jeans and the smooth indents of his abdominal muscles. I knew the blush was already heating up my face, but I kept my composure as I stared at him.

"If only I was that fat!" I replied.

"Hey, I've seen you with your shirt off too," Hunter reminded me, and his brow twitched with his lips.

He still stood there with his shirt half-up, and his arms placed so his forearms flexed. I knew I needed to retaliate, or end up drooling all over myself.

I stood and pulled my shirt off, throwing it into the laundry basket.

"I'm getting fat too," I said with an over-exaggerated sigh as I placed my hands on my hips.

Hunter blinked twice and turned, calling over his shoulder, "Go take a shower, you smell!"

I smiled at his back.

Sure, I did.