Chapter 9

The endless running was finally starting to get to me, and I felt the fatigue fogging my mind as I forced one foot to lift after the other. Hunter's pace hadn't slowed, and I didn't want to hold him back from the goal of getting us back to safety. His pace had quickened since our run in with the Hunters, and I now understood why. Those men had known exactly who Hunter was and what Tribe he was from, and because of that, they had wanted him dead...just like Hunter had been sent to kill me.

I shook my head at the thought and took a deep breath, but no air reached my lungs.

I couldn't breathe, and I found myself reaching for the tree flashing by me for support.

"You need to drink more water," Hunter commented as he stopped with me and pulled the water bottle from the pack and threw it at me.

The world was already pitching forward into blackness, and I had no reaction time before the bottle hit me in the chest. It brought the world back in bright colors, and I was finally able to suck in a breath.

"Are you okay?" Hunter asked, stepping forward.

"It's just a bottle," I replied, leaning down to pick it up and instead falling to my knees.

"Kate! You are not okay! You need to speak up if you need to stop," Hunter said as he pulled me into his arms and grabbed the water bottle.

My head lolled into his chest as he pulled me to him and tilted my chin with his finger. "I'm not trying to kill you— you need to tell me when you need to stop."

My eyes were barely open. Oh, the irony.

"Hunter, I need to stop," I said, and my words slurred together, so it sounded more like HummerInedtasto.

He twisted the cap off the bottle. "Open your mouth."

He forced the water down my throat, causing me to sputter, but it was slow enough I found I didn't choke.

"Any better?" he asked, his eyes racing over my face as he wiped the excess water from my chin.

It struck me that if anyone else did that, I would feel like a child being chastised, but with him it felt genuine. There was nothing belittling in his gaze, and I found I couldn't breathe again but for a totally different reason. I looked away and sucked in a much needed breathe before replying, "Mhmm." I let my face fall into his chest and tuck under his chin. "Can't move legs."

"We can camp here," he replied, and I felt his head lift as he looked up. "The skies look clear, so we won't have to worry about rain."

His hands ran up and down my arms as I began to shiver. His voice was soft when he spoke, "Will you be okay while I get us some protein and fire wood?"

"Sure." I nodded, but in truth, I didn't want to leave the warmth and comfort of his arms. Hunter held me to him as he shifted the backpack off and fluffed it.

"Here," Hunter said as he moved me so I was lying with my head against it. "Use this as a pillow."

I could see the worry in his normally placid eyes as his hand went to stroke my face, but then pulled away and dropped to his side in a fist.

"I'll be back in five minutes tops. You should've said something." He shook his head as he stood. "You're so god damned stubborn!"

"I don't want to hold you back," I replied as I closed my eyes with my heart hammering because of the exhaustion...or him.

"Stubborn," he replied under his breath, and I heard his feet hit the ground as he jogged off.

By the time he returned I was recovered enough to sit up and drink on my own.